Lighting for 56gal DT

apstreck

Hello,
I've been out of the hobby for several years and I am planning on starting a new tank in the next few months and lighting has changed a LOT since I've been active in the reef world. I have a 56g tank that I am going to use as a display tank, 30x18x24. I want to keep a mixed LPS/SPS tank but tend to go towards the way of SPS. Looking at the Ocean Revive t247, but it seems like I'm at a difficult spot with the coverage. One would be a little bit shy of what I needed while two would be overkill. They rate their SPS coverage at 26x18 and Mixed coverage at 32x24. Could I go with two and tone them back? Or is there another light that would make more sense for my setup? Thanks in advance.

It looks like the tank you're interested in is 24" deep. This is on the deeper side for a reef tank, especially for smaller (<50ish gallons) systems. The light intensity is going to drop off pretty quickly in a tank like that. I know, I have been running a 30 gallon that is 24" tall for the last 10 years. I looked up the Ocean Revive light and it looks like the par values would only be good for SPS (200-300) in the center of a 24" deep tank. The fact the yours is 30" long only compounds this problem. Are you willing to only keep SPS in the middle of your display tank? You might consider the Reef Breeder Photon lights. They come in a variety of lengths. The 24" long fixture would give you good mixed reef capabilities. You could even get a SPS dominant options in the middle 20" of your tank. BRS did some good videos reviewing these lights. Hope that helps.

Back