lighting help needed!!!

DerekF

OK, here's the deal I have since scrapped my idea of tossing my 80 watt NO light fixture for my new 220 watt VHO system. I said why not use both? I couldn't decide on what bulbs to use with just the vho so what do
i do now? I have read read read the FAQ's on actinic lighting and all I can get is that they are more for asthetics with some purpose of helping with photosynthesis.

So this is my thought on the matter if full-spectrum bulbs 6500-10,000 help more for actually growing corals wouldn't it be better to run two full spectrum bulbs in the VHO fixture (220 watts full spectrum) and run two actinic bulbs in the NO fixture (80 watts actinic)

If I am correct in my thinking than this should work, should I run 48"

1) 6500k VHO
1) 10,000k VHO

1) True actinic NO-40w
1) True actinic NO-40w

That seems like a reasonable plan. I run NO actinics with my Halides and they still make a big differance in the overall color. It still is a lot of trial and error though.

thanks for the response, that actinic vs. full-spec thing is kinda in the gray to me.

Just one more question, Would you reccomend putting the actinics in the front or back.

The lighting thing can be confusing for sure. as for where to put the actinics hard to say I geuss what ever looks best to you.

1) 6500k VHO
1) 10,000k VHO <-----independent setup

1) True actinic NO-40w
1) True actinic NO-40w <---------independent setup

these are two seperate light fixtures so that is not possible unless I run one VHO actinic and one NO actinic, and I am wanting to get the most full-spec lighting to my corals, hence my dillema. If you think that would be more suitable for growing corals please let me know, thanks

Back