Lighting help

sturner91

I currently have two 160w Galaxyhydro lights. Looking to replace these because of fan failure and light malfunction. I found these lights (here) that really caught my attention. I'm running a 72 gallon bow front dimensions are 48.4" x 18" x 23". What should I run for my lights?
Should I get two 16" lights or could I get away with running either the 24" or the 32" setup?

OR

Does someone have another set of lights they would suggest and have good feedback?

Livestock is primarily mushrooms and softies, a few anenomes and a torch, I would love to get into hard corals later but I need to balance my water parameters before attempting them.

Lighting help

I currently have two 160w Galaxyhydro lights. Looking to replace these because of fan failure and light malfunction. I found these lights (here) that really caught my attention. I'm running a 72 gallon bow front dimensions are 48.4" x 18" x 23". What should I run for my lights?

Should I get two 16" lights or could I get away with running either the 24" or the 32" setup?

OR

Does someone have another set of lights they would suggest and have good feedback?

Livestock is primarily mushrooms and softies, a few anenomes and a torch, I would love to get into hard corals later but I need to balance my water parameters before attempting them.

You are wanting to go from one galaxy hydro to another of basically the same thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are wanting to go from one galaxy hydro to another of basically the same thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well I was debating going with the Kessil ap700 but $900 is a bit steep for me. Specially just after the holidays. As of now I reached out to galaxyhydro and they are sending me 2 replacement boards plus replacement fans for both units. Plus a new app to manage the devices hopefully better than the app currently.

So I guess I'll see where that goes..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm with Gus, you are thinking about switching from one Chinese black box to another Chinese black box that is almost exactly the same and sold by another fairly unknown brand. And I have no experience with the AP700, but but Kessil says that to cover 48" it has to be at least 18" to 24" above the tank!!! I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole.

A 32" or 48" from a better known, more popular brand may be the solution you should be looking at. MarsAqua to Reef Breeders V2.

But it sounds like your current supplier is going to help out with parts, so that's a good thing. Use the new parts, save your money and wait for better fixtures that will be coming out soon.

I'm with Gus, you are thinking about switching from one Chinese black box to another Chinese black box that is almost exactly the same and sold by another fairly unknown brand. And I have no experience with the AP700, but but Kessil says that to cover 48" it has to be at least 18" to 24" above the tank!!! I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole.

A 32" or 48" from a better known, more popular brand may be the solution you should be looking at. MarsAqua to Reef Breeders V2.

But it sounds like your current supplier is going to help out with parts, so that's a good thing. Use the new parts, save your money and wait for better fixtures that will be coming out soon.

Yea I think thats the best route for now.

Thanks for the input guys!

Bringing this thread back up. Galaxy hydro is losing me as a customer. They failed to provide a reasonable resolution within the time we discussed. They sent me one replacement board when they said they'd send two and to top it off its a damaged board.

I was recommended in a local forum for my area that SB Reef Lights would be a good choice. I was looking at the SBOX Extreme 16" WIFI
Anyone have any experience with them?
Seem's they have a good reputation plus the owner is American, product still seems to be a Chinese black box though.

Didn't know if there was another suggestion before I dish out $500 on two of these lights.

If you are going to pay $500 I suggest you take a long hard look at the Reef Breeders Photon V2 in either a 32" or 48" as either will work. The 48" is on sale for $585 and is a WAY better light. If you want the sales pitch let me know. And if you want to talk to somebody about them, they have a sponsor forum here at RC. But one look at the fixture and what it does should convince you. Look at mine:

If you are going to pay $500 I suggest you take a long hard look at the Reef Breeders Photon V2 in either a 32" or 48" as either will work. The 48" is on sale for $585 and is a WAY better light. If you want the sales pitch let me know. And if you want to talk to somebody about them, they have a sponsor forum here at RC. But one look at the fixture and what it does should convince you. Look at mine:

I'll dig in and do some research. Appreciate your input. The $500 I would be paying is for 2 16" lights. They also have a decent application for it to use from phone which is something I'd prefer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back