Lighting my (new) 240. What are YOU using?

Must be some SERIOUS reflectors!!

I put the 72" outer orbit over my 240, and it has (3) 250W halides... I definitely was missing some light, as the 72" has a foot on each end of no light, plus the distance from the first halide to the end of the fixture. I'd say about 1-2' is just getting a hint of the halides output. But, I know the reflectors in those types of fixtures are VERY limited.

Due to me wanting to stay with a fixture as much as possible, I know I won't get as much output/spread as-if I just placed a few halides with full Polished SS reflectors... so, I'm thinking of these;
http://www.sunslighting.com/Metal-Halide-Lamp-p/m.h-t-48.htm

Anyone know of them, use them, or have experiences with them??

Two 48" with 2x250 and 4x45 T5 would be a LOT of light. And might just be the perfect solution all-around. Hmmmm.... :confused:

I've decided to try (what I mentioned before);

http://www.sunslighting.com/Metal-Ha...p/m.h-t-48.htm

It'll be TWO fixtures, of;
2x250W Halide HQI FC2 bulbs and 4x54W T5 HO fluorescents

So a total of; 1400+ watts and lots of PAR!

Should be in by the end of the month, and I can check that part of the build off my list. This will make it easy, as if I did all retrofits I'd build my own reflectors using polished stainless (like I did it 20yrs ago).

I plan on making a tall canopy, so that the lights don't get any salt splash and with as much light as I'll have, I'm sure I can move them up above the water quite a bit without too much PAR loss.

i have never heard of those lights.
are they like the odyssey lights??

Both from China (Odyssea and the Sea-World).
Odyssea has only one pair of T5s (and is more expensive), where the Sea-World has two pair.

I've not left out the idea however to go to a 48" fixture using all T5s just yet. It's still an idea, but I'd still like to obtain the shimmer. I mean, SHIMMER is all about what a coral reef is about. When I dive, the shimmer makes things come alive. So, to have it in the tank... it means a lot. Even if my chiller might have to work a little harder in summer.

HQI, thats why you are not getting the light spread that I am. Single Ended bulbs. Just read you wanted a fixture, thats the hinder there. In order for you to get the spread, you have to go with 3 250w HQI, or should i might say. Unless your going to have them well above the water line. I am using the Bat wing reflectors set only 7" above the water line, and the reflectors are basically adjustable for light spread. Iv'e modified some polished aluminum pieces to reflect front and back light that the bat wing loses. Oh, and I didn't think softies and LPS needed the same lighting conditions that SPS did. =)

HQI, thats why you are not getting the light spread that I am. Single Ended bulbs. Just read you wanted a fixture, thats the hinder there. In order for you to get the spread, you have to go with 3 250w HQI, or should i might say. Unless your going to have them well above the water line. I am using the Bat wing reflectors set only 7" above the water line, and the reflectors are basically adjustable for light spread. Iv'e modified some polished aluminum pieces to reflect front and back light that the bat wing loses.

I'm not using anything just yet...

And have on hand, 2 - 250W HQI style ballasts/sockets.
And have reflectors, endcaps and ballasts for enough T5 HOs.
... I'd just need another 1 or 2 - 250W ballast and socket, and I'd be set. Not 100% on either solution. But, retrofits (and what i have on hand) will surely be cheaper at this point.

Got ya, your going to need another light then. 3 over that tank will cover you sufficiently for what you plan on keeping.

Thought I'd post an update;
I went with (4) LED panels of 112W each.

Ordered them direct, and LOVE them.

... this was AFTER trying (4) halides, and the heat was just atrocious.

Back