Lighting Question

Calappidae

Harlequin Shrimp
Not new here, 1 year veteran, but I think I'm ready to aim for SPS now. I have a 10 gallon mini-reef I'm converting into an SPS tank (along with some Softies).

My lighting plans are:
RapidLED Soilderless
4 cool white
4 blue
2 green
2 red
2 cyan
and 2 royal blue (for at night time, also should I leave these ones on ALL night or just as it gets dark?)

I might be using different colors.. I'm just going to experiment and see what these look like but those are my plans. Would those be alright to substain SPS? Is the spectrum good enough? Also, high how above the 10 gallon should they be? I was hoping to just lay them on the top unless thats too much.

Assuming these are 3 watt emitters they should provide enough light. What degree lenses are you planning on using? To get even lighting they will need to be around 6" above the tank (depending on lens). Will each color be independently controllable? If not I would reduce the green, red and cyan to one emitter each. As far as the royal blue moonlights, I would either set them up to mimic the cycles of the moon or turn them off at night rather than leave them on 24/7.

On a side note SPS is difficult to keep in a 10 gallon tank, the slightest varience in parameters is magnified by the lack of volume. It can be done, but it is not easy.

On a side note SPS is difficult to keep in a 10 gallon tank, the slightest varience in parameters is magnified by the lack of volume. It can be done, but it is not easy.

I am aware of that, I test my water daily for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and SG.
Everyweek I test my calcium, and alk as well.

I was going to buy two dimmable drivers (one for moonlights and one for day lights) and set them on timers.

I guess I can't just lay a sheet of acrylic on top of the ten gallon and screw the lights onto it like a heat sink?

I guess I can't just lay a sheet of acrylic on top of the ten gallon and screw the lights onto it like a heat sink?

No, that would be a bad idea. First you'll be limiting the gas exchange at the surface of the water and second, you'll end up with terrible condensation all over the acrylic.

No, you must have a heat sink, you should have lenses or you waste a substancial amount of light. Go over to the DIY forum, there are some excelent threads regarding building your own LED lights.

Back