Lighting Question

ABnormalAZ

So im just getting started and I am putting my equipment list together. I'm looking at getting a Current Satellite Plus Pro LED Light Fixture for my 28 gallon set up. The manufacturer says it is used for fresh water tanks... But many reviews say that people use it in marine tanks.. I'm confused. Current makes a marine version of the light but it seems to me that the Current Plus Pro has a lot more lighting schemes to play with. Will either light suffice? Are they any good? I don't want to screw this up!! Thanks

The difference most probably lies in the light spectrum. Freshwater or for planted tanks usually ytilize lower frequency 6.5k wavelengths for the white light. Marine tanks usually utilize higher wavelengths at 10k and above up yo 20k. The 6.5 k is better suited for plant growth and will make corals have a dull brown look. I personally like 12k white and 453nm actinic split 50/50 for my basic LED lighting. Add in some royal blue and tiny amounts of royal red and green and you have a nice reef tank light. The more color wavelengths the better. Even smaller amounts of purple and ultra violet in custom lighting schemes is awesome.

A 28 Gal set up will need ~ 60 - 90 watts of high intensity LEDs w/ 90 degree optics. I don't know if you can afford it, but I would go for a single Kessil 88 watt tuna blue A360W fixture. I have seen them new from Innovative Growers (very reliable) for less than $300 new. I have one on a 30G and it rocks.

Thanks!! Its just so much to digest and I dont want to make a wrong move!! Im seeing that the depth of the 28 gallon bow front could be an issue for the light penatration.. So im not sure what to do!!

i have that light and it wonderful there are two different version a freshwater and a saltwater i have the salt water one on my 29 gallon

Back