Lighting requirements for clams - please read

ezcompany

Premium Member
Due to the numerous questions on this topic and issue, I hope this post will answer the entry level questions on lighting. The only stickies we have in the clam forum are somewhat outdated and is hosted by a commercial website. Most of the information below is based on personal experience and experiences shared by other fellow clam lovers.

Tridacnid Lighting Requirements:

Tridacna Crocea

These clams require the most light of the Tridacna family. They occur in the wild mostly in very clear waters less than 15 feet in depth. The minimum lighting requirement for a healthy crocea is under a 150 watt metal halide of a reliable 14k bulb at a maximum depth of less than 20 inches. To be on the safer side, a 10k bulb is recommended, and is closer to the "true" color of natural sunlight. Again, 150 watts of metal halides are a minimum, the recommended lighting for them is at least a 250 watt metal halide. If using T-5s, make sure the bulbs have individual parabolic reflectors on them, and the clam is placed at the very least in the upper half of your tank. Power Compacts will in 99% of cases NOT suffice to Croceas and Maximas.

Tridacna Maxima

These clams require almost as much light as Croceas if not as much. They have a maximum depth of occurence slightly deeper than Croceas, but are again mostly found in very clean and shallow waters. The best bet is to place them in the same lighting conditions as you would light a crocea.

Tridacna Squamosa

These clams are much more forgiving in terms of light than the upper two tridacna species. Assuming they are not placed in a nano due to the size they can reach, they will be happy under metal halides of some sort, but will suffice with vhos, or even power compact lighting. There is no exact number for the wattage of the bulbs, but anything above 100 watts of compact flourescents will be acceptable in depths less than 20 inches.

Tridacna Deresa

These clams are even more forgiving in terms of light than Squamosas, but again they will be happier with the lighting requirement given to Squamosas.

Tridacna Gigas

Can suffice with the least amount of light compared to the rest of the tridacna species. They can thrive under pc lighting, but again will be happier with lighting closer to that of its natural environment. Some people have claimed tremendous growth under metal halides.

Other notes:

People claim that croceas and maximas can survive under power compacts. These cases are far and few between, but there are certain individuals that are able to tolerate lower lightings, at which most of their counterparts would not be able to survive. Nevertheless, you should not take the risk and hope to get lucky, it is better to be prepared to give them what they will surely thrive in.

although im retired from posting on this board, this is a very good guide for lighting requirements of clams.

so bump :)

You might want to re-evaluate your statements on t5. I am coming up on my first year since switching form MH to T5. My clams are on the bottom and more colorful than they ever where with MH. I find that t5 penetrate atleast 24". Or maybe I'm the exception

jbittner, the information above is to provide more than adequate lighting for your clam. i should have wrote "try to" instead of "at the very least". from what i have been reading on T-5s, if your bulbs are much longer than the depth of your tank, you get that much more penetration. so if this were to be true, i would not place a clam in the bottom of say a 37 cube, with a 24 inch fixture with only 4 bulbs as it would not penetrate as efficiently all the way to the bottom. i also heard that its a little iffy to place clams under t-5s with less than 6 bulbs. we should also remember that metal halide is a very concentrated light source, which explains why its known for penetration. for anyone using this as information, this is in assumption that the t-5s you are using have quality bulbs with individual parabolic reflectors for each bulb.

4xt5 54 watters on a 55. I am getting pretty good results. I guess time will tell. Where did you see that info on length of bulbs vs depth of penetration. It makes some sense but I am looking for any testing done on t5.

i believe i saw it on a discussion/post made by The Grim Reefer, over at the Lighting and Equipment thread under "The T-5 Q&A Thread"

Tridacna Crocea

"150 watts of metal halides are a minimum, the recommended lighting for them is at least a 250 watt metal halide."

I find this rather confusing. What you're essentially saying is that you should have 400 watt MH. (A light that many people have dumped in favor of 250 watt).

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9206727#post9206727 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SINNERMF
What about Hippopus clams?

hippopus clams are found in the same depth of water as the crocea but are able to survive under less than ideal lighting conditions. metal halides should be used to simulate natural lighting but you could get away with florescents in a shallow tank. the use of florescents will cause the clams to grow slower than if kept under metal halides but the clam will survive where a crocea would not.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9208414#post9208414 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Craig Lambert

Tridacna Crocea

"150 watts of metal halides are a minimum, the recommended lighting for them is at least a 250 watt metal halide."

I find this rather confusing. What you're essentially saying is that you should have 400 watt MH. (A light that many people have dumped in favor of 250 watt).
the truth is they need lots of light and 250s and400s are both good choices for someone who wants a clam

109536bump.gif

I'd use the 250's in a shallower tank, say under 24". I use 400's on the deeper tanks, or use a taller hood so that the height from the light is about 28-30". Anything else about the 250 vs 400 is silly. You would put 2 400's over a 55g, would you? No you'd use 2 250's. It's penetration density!

So where do croceas prefer to be? On rocks or in substrate? Or does it not really matter? Same question for Deresa and Maxima. Is it true the smaller clams make their own food? That's what I've heard from MD. Now, on this I've heard conflicting info. Thank you. This was very helpful.

Marinegirl, to answer your question we can look at where they are found in the wild. Croceas are found in rockwork, Maximas are found in rockwork as well, but some are found in the substrate. Deresas will be perfectly fine in substrate. All clams make their own food through their zooxanthellae (sp) that provide them with their main energy converted from light. The argument you will hear is whether or not small clams require to be fed.

ime, as long as you feed your tank regularly (fish food, coral food, etc.) your clam has all the nutrition it needs.

Back