Lighting Suggestions

jgranata13

I'm planning on setting up a very small mixed reef - definitely less than 20gal, seriously considering 5.5gal. I've successfully kept a FOWLR for two years, but I have no experience with coral (I know you're all probably rolling your eyes at this picture; all I can say is that I've done countless amounts of research over the last five years and I know exactly what I'm getting myself into). My question today is about lighting. After all this time doing research, this is pretty much the only component of the reef system that I still don't know a lot about.

I've also been planning my dream setup for the last five years (a 56gal column, 30"x18"x22", but that's still a way away from being a reality) and I'm pretty sure that I'd like to use a dimmable ATI Sunpower on there. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for any other fixtures that can transition from lighting up this pico reef that I'm planning (without frying the corals) to still giving enough light on the 56 to grow SPS. The only thing that I can think of would be a Radion or something like that, but, as I said, I don't know a lot about lighting and maybe there's something else.

If you don't think there's anything that'll really do both jobs satisfactorily, I welcome any suggestions for a "cheap/throwaway" fixture that I can use on the pico without blowing my budget for the dream tank.

For the pico tank I'd use that tiny new kessil. For the 56 gallon definitely the ATI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back