Lighting Website Updates

I am in the same boat you getting back into it, my break was 20 years.
I have done a lot of research and have come to the conclusion that my 48'' 90g i will use the Kessil 160n and i might even go with 4 because of the narrow beam. My thinking is if you are dialing them down because they too bright then i shouldnt need such a powerful fixture. Also if the par is so well balanced from front to back add to balance side to side....

My understanding of leds is nill i need someone to dumb it down for me.

I have a standard 120 that I'm setting up. What would you suggest for lighting that is great and inexpensive? I'm sure I'm going to go the LED route.

For me to understand what to do I needed to learn about Par. What it is and what is does. What I learned in short was water and if you have a glass top like I will filters out certian needed wave lengths of light. This is where par comes in. Par will tell you how much light is getting to certain areas or a specific area of your tank. If I am not mistaken, I am sitting in my car as I write this...needed par or desired par levels at 24" depth is 236 and 360 at 6" of depth. So my conclusion was I dont like the room to turn blue when the lights are on. It reminds of the late 70's and 80's doing the unmentionables......lol yes I am that old.
So I was looking at reusing my 3 bulb T5 which needs 100.00 of bulbs every 5-6 months vs using LEDS. So after researching all of the lights and combonations available. What I found out most is Reefers where turning or using 40-60% of the a available power with Kessil 360w. As full power was bleaching the corals. But I learned from a friend that Kessils produce the best effects when set at over 50%. So I also found out the 160's aremuch better in Conservering power by using the 160w over the 360w.
So in short from my research found that 160w at 80% is better than 360w's at 50% and using 3 160's instead of two and still less total power used or at the least the same amount of power used. I will also have a much more even par level across the whole 48" at 18" of depth. Along with great shimmering

I have had my (2) 165 watt Chinese led boxes for 3 years. Does anybody know what the actual duration of the led lights and their intensity?

Led lighting for a 27"deep tank?

Led lighting for a 27"deep tank?

I am relatively cash poor, getting back into hobby after a long 10yr break and have a 48x18x28" deep tank. Want to go led. Would an aquatic life edge led fixture keep me happy for a while? I like the slim design, little heat, and less electric bill in the hot south Texas summers. Looking in the 300 to 400 range, less money is better as I have other pieces to buy like UV filter, new test equip, quarantine tank, etc... What corals can I grow? Could I keep a clam or some hard corals in the upper 1/3 of tank with that setup? Plz give me some ideas? I luv the dusk to dawn feature and a lot of diy stuff ends up looking junky and I imagine salt keep would take its toll on diy as in the past. Also open to a possible 6 bulb t5vho if need be or a 2xt5 with the aquatic life fixture...

Hi there. I've recently upgraded to a 50 gallon, 37x19x20. I don't really want to keep sps, but do plan to have LPS and softies. Seeing as I'm not going the sps route but need a lighting upgrade, I'm thinking about getting one of the Chinese LED boxes. Would one of the typical Mars boxes (or re-brands) be sufficient, or should I spring for a slightly longer box (like the MarsAqua Dimmable 300W LED Aquarium Grow Light)?

Any other brands / systems I should be looking at? I'm hoping to keep price around $200 or below.

I also can't hang the lights from the ceiling, so if anyone has links to DIY or store-bought mounting (my tank is acrylic), please send them my way!

Current lighting: SeaStar LED Aquarium Lighting. 14"-48" SALTWATER Single Strip LED Over the Tank Lighting

Thank you!

After 10 years Im back. I am starting 2 nano reef tanks 2 -20 longs to get back into the swing of things. I plan on setting up my 2 150g 6' long tanks in the fall. I have 6 - 400w metal halide fixtures but am being told I should switch to LED. Is there a place I can buy parts to build my own LED fixtures or what company should I buy. what I buy will also be used on my larger tanks when I set then up. I plan to have SPS, LPS, softies and mushrooms.

Sanjay - Many pages back you asked for a piece of low iron glass to evaluate as a DE shield. Did you ever get a piece to look at?
37.gif

39.gif
59.gif

Hi there. I've recently upgraded to a 50 gallon, 37x19x20. I don't really want to keep sps, but do plan to have LPS and softies. Seeing as I'm not going the sps route but need a lighting upgrade, I'm thinking about getting one of the Chinese LED boxes. Would one of the typical Mars boxes (or re-brands) be sufficient, or should I spring for a slightly longer box (like the MarsAqua Dimmable 300W LED Aquarium Grow Light)?

Any other brands / systems I should be looking at? I'm hoping to keep price around $200 or below.

I also can't hang the lights from the ceiling, so if anyone has links to DIY or store-bought mounting (my tank is acrylic), please send them my way!

Current lighting: SeaStar LED Aquarium Lighting. 14"-48" SALTWATER Single Strip LED Over the Tank Lighting

Thank you!

Check out this DIY TV Mount http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2523161&highlight=tv+mount

For me to understand what to do I needed to learn about Par. What it is and what is does. What I learned in short was water and if you have a glass top like I will filters out certian needed wave lengths of light. This is where par comes in. Par will tell you how much light is getting to certain areas or a specific area of your tank. If I am not mistaken, I am sitting in my car as I write this...needed par or desired par levels at 24" depth is 236 and 360 at 6" of depth. So my conclusion was I dont like the room to turn blue when the lights are on. It reminds of the late 70's and 80's doing the unmentionables......lol yes I am that old.
So I was looking at reusing my 3 bulb T5 which needs 100.00 of bulbs every 5-6 months vs using LEDS. So after researching all of the lights and combonations available. What I found out most is Reefers where turning or using 40-60% of the a available power with Kessil 360w. As full power was bleaching the corals. But I learned from a friend that Kessils produce the best effects when set at over 50%. So I also found out the 160's aremuch better in Conservering power by using the 160w over the 360w.
So in short from my research found that 160w at 80% is better than 360w's at 50% and using 3 160's instead of two and still less total power used or at the least the same amount of power used. I will also have a much more even par level across the whole 48" at 18" of depth. Along with great shimmering

The A160WE is only 40watts and the 360 is 90watts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am getting back into the hobby after12 yrs. I am starting with an IM Abyss Peninsula. Its 20 gal and 17" deep at the deep end. I was thinking of using the Kessil or AI Prime. I do wish to do some sps down the road when everything is well established. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Opinion With lights $300 under

Opinion With lights $300 under

I am looking to update my lighting system.

I currently have Current Orbit Marine LED Ramp Timer Pro-- realized this is not great for growing corals now...

I have... 39 gal. bowfront tank roughly 21"x32"
3 leather corals
and 3 soft corals (and my main focus are into Soft corals)

this tank has been set up for over 2 years now and it haven't shown significant amount of growth throughout the tank....

The upgrade I was looking for under a budget was the Current USA orbit IC LED-Loop 24"-36" comes with the free wave power head
Watts 27 RGBW LED---6 what does this mean?

-What is your opinion of this Light?
-Any other lighting I can look into?

I've been looking at LED lights for my 120 gallon SPS tank. After reading the boards the past month or so, I noticed several people giving high praise to the Reefbreeder lights. I don't know how many of the users of this light have SPS corals but I would like to know their results or opinions. Also does the 48" lights cover front to back on a 48" x 24" x 24" tank.

Thank you in advance

Back