Lights of America - Is this a universal bulb?

AcroSteve

Make my Funk a P-Funk
I have been looking for a local source for some LOA bulbs with the prroper spectrum for my refuge.

After seeing this thread... http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=723915

I started looking for the fixture snakebyt used. I have not been able to find the whole fixture, but I did locate the replacement bulb.
LOA-Bulb.jpg

The bulb has a mogul base - not a standard screw in size. I was thinking that I might be able to use one of my MH sockets and just run 120v right to the bulb if I did not need a ballast. However, the package for the bulb says.

This lamp is a replacement lamp only and does not have a ballast. Not for use with direct current circuit. The lamp will fail if used in any fixture not designed for use with a 65 watt fluorescent lamp. Not for use with timers, dimmers and motion control devices.

Is there a problem with the translation of the instructions? I would think a direct curent circuit would be very uncommon. Furthermore, the fixture the bulb is used in has a light sensor for night time operation - not 24hrs. Therefore it is functioning like a timer. Why the warning?

There is no relevant info on the bulb base.

What are the chances it will work with regular 120V?

The fixture I am looking for is the one on the left. The Lowe's I found the bulb at, only had the fixture on the right.

LOA-Fixture.jpg

The lowes at my location does not stock the lamp assembly that you are looking for. I had to go to home depot to get the complete assembly.

Home Depot has the assembly you are looking for....that is where I got my replacement bulb a little while back and they had the fixture close to it.

FWIW, there are 6500K LOA bulbs at walmart with "standard" screw. I have been using them on my fuge and works great.

I use the 45 watt LOA bulbs from Walmart . They are described as a 200 watt reading light replacement. Works GREAT for my refuge.

Vapor1,

Are those the right kelvin?

Can they be screwed into any fixture or do you have to buy theirs?

Thanks.

AcroSteve,

Yeah I asked about it because it would be so nice if you could just get a clip on lamp and stick that puppy in, however it requires a ballast and its not built into the bulb like some of the others.

For growing macros and stuff in a refuge, they work great.I'm not sure who did the tests, but I remember someone on reefcentral did a test on refuge lights and growing macros. I seem to remember that the lower k bulbs did a much better job of growing macros.

The one I got screws into ANY standard light bulb fixture.

Are you talking about below 6500K? I tried one of these and got a Micro Algae mess. Soon as I switched back to 6500K the micro went away and the macro started growing.

these lights work awsome for macro and freshie planted tanks corals will very slowly recede under these lamps will work for a couple weeks but not a permanent thing

you can find the whole fixture at Home depot in the section with all the security lights, porch lights ect...

Back