Do I need a new ballast?

Hi all!

I just replaced a 18month old Phoenix DE150w halide bulb on my reef and found that it wouldn’t fire. When I did this in 2022 I notice that the arc seemed to have difficulty starting until the bulb burned in a bit. For now I put the old lamp back in and it works fine.

My ballast is a Hatch that I got probably 15 years ago and has worked well for me. My issue is that I’m having trouble finding a replacement if that’s what I need to do.

So do I need a new ballast or is it possible the new bulb is the problem? If I need a new ballast, what do you recommend I get?

Thanks!

I bet it isn't your ballast. Your old bulb likely wouldn't fire. Know anyone who might try the bulb in their ballast? Some bulbs have a really hard time kicking on. I'm assuming the wattage rating for the ballast is within range of the new bulb?

Thanks, I’ll give the new bulb another try. I was afraid that there could be too much resistance on the new bulb to light or something.

Yes same make and manufacture of lamps, Phoenix 150w 14k light. I bought the ballast new 15 years ago and have been using those bulbs the entire time.

A ballast that's 15 years old and still working is awesome. My answer would be to get a new ballast

Any M81 ballast should work. The old rule was magnetic ballasts drove bulbs to their full potential whereas electronics tended to underpower them a bit. I think electronic ballasts also make the bulb look more blue.

If you are using a magnetic ballast, it's probably fine, but the capacitor(s) need replacement. Digital ballasts are aluminum cased, lighter and the outside is covered cooling fins. Digital ballasts are non-servicable.
The only way for a magnetic ballasts to TRULY go bad is from excessive heat or obviously being smashed or dropped. Copper wire wrapped around a stack of laminated steel plates doesn't just "go bad." If you diced to look at the capacitors, be aware of thier danger and look up how to SAFELY discharge a capacitor prior to messing with them.

If you are using a magnetic ballast, it's probably fine, but the capacitor(s) need replacement. Digital ballasts are aluminum cased, lighter and the outside is covered cooling fins. Digital ballasts are non-servicable.
The only way for a magnetic ballasts to TRULY go bad is from excessive heat or obviously being smashed or dropped. Copper wire wrapped around a stack of laminated steel plates doesn't just "go bad." If you diced to look at the capacitors, be aware of thier danger and look up how to SAFELY discharge a capacitor prior to messing with them.
Very true. Many moons ago I followed Sanjay's directions as published in one of the now defunct print mags to build my own ballasts. Sometime later, I had a capacitor go bad. Thankfully, thanks to Sanjay, I knew how to discharge the capacitor.

Very true. Many moons ago I followed Sanjay's directions as published in one of the now defunct print mags to build my own ballasts. Sometime later, I had a capacitor go bad. Thankfully, thanks to Sanjay, I knew how to discharge the capacitor.
I think my coralife ballasts are in need of new caps. Not that it matters much since 150 hqi bulbs are near extinction alot more so than mogul base bulbs. I did actually get some 20k radium from a distributor in Slovania. Took like 7 months and was special order. I miss plusrite bulbs. I wish I stocked up on those $12 bulbs. 😥 the 14k was fantastic IMO. Closer to 10k I suppose, but I really like the white look.

I think my coralife ballasts are in need of new caps. Not that it matters much since 150 hqi bulbs are near extinction alot more so than mogul base bulbs. I did actually get some 20k radium from a distributor in Slovania. Took like 7 months and was special order. I miss plusrite bulbs. I wish I stocked up on those $12 bulbs. 😥 the 14k was fantastic IMO. Closer to 10k I suppose, but I really like the white look.
Have you tried this place? They still have Plusrite SE bulbs in stock.
Their search function sucks when trying to search, “plusrite 14000.” But if you had the part number might be able to find them.

Would 10k work?

No one ever mentions Marine Color bulbs, are they junk or something? (I've never tried one) They always have every bulb except 175w on Ebay, even now.

No one ever mentions Marine Color bulbs, are they junk or something? (I've never tried one) They always have every bulb except 175w on Ebay, even now.
Trash. 2 weeks, and the arc tube leaked out into the outer envelope, and brightness dropped off ALOT. Not just regular burn in. That occurred after a couple of weeks, but then they started to get dimmer and dimmer, and made me inspect the bulbs. Could have been 2 lemon bulbs, but I doubt it. I think I have another pair I could try, but I wasn't happy with how they degraded so so fast.

Would 10k work?

Yes. I really wanted some 6500k bulbs, but the marine color ones were so bad. I'll order up these 10k's though. I run 2 seperate dual 150w fixtures. One has 20k radium, ans one has 10k bulbs feom either hamilton or oddysea. I should check which the 10ks are, as they seem to be holding up.

Would 10k work?

Oh, I remember that thier stock available is wrong or ther cart system is messed up. I'll give them a call later today. Looks like 10k went in the cart ok, but I want those delicious 14k. 🤣 my wife loves the 20k bulbs, but that's juat too bad. 🤣 I'll put some led bars on to run when she's home. Lol

Back