Lights out question

Socalx45

So i am currently battling a cyano outbreak. I started lights out today in my DT. Do i need to turn the fuge light off as well?? Also i dosed some chemi clean as well. Is it good to do both at the same time???

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Yes to both questions?? Turn lights off in fuge too and its ok to dose chemi clean and have lights off?

Yes to both questions?? Turn lights off in fuge too and its ok to dose chemi clean and have lights off?

Leave light in fuge on.

Make sure you put in carbon and do the water change after 48 hours.

Also, did you try and suck out as much of the cyano as possible before you did the chemiclean?

Ok fuge light is on. No i did not try to suck out any cyano. Its just on the sand. I want to nip it in the butt right now

I wouldn't get too crazy... Many people have small spots of cyano in their tank from time to time. Ive had it on my sand in pretty decent quantities from time to time. Just increase flow on your sand bed if possible, and do some more nutrient export. It should go away on its own. You could also siphon some out every couple of days to speed up the process. Some people also feel it is related to an imbalance in NO3 and P04. Would be worth testing those to see if one is high and the other is 0. Before I did anything drastic, I would be increasing flow first. What you are talking about could cause worse problems, and if the cyano isn't that bad, it might not/probably wont get out of control (depending on nutrient situation and husbandry/flow).

What are your NO3, PO4?

I would remove algae manually, vacuum the sand bed, adjust skimming wet, exchange active carbon, increase the flow, black out 72 hours. But NO3, PO4 must be controlled

I wouldn't get too crazy... Many people have small spots of cyano in their tank from time to time. Ive had it on my sand in pretty decent quantities from time to time. Just increase flow on your sand bed if possible, and do some more nutrient export. It should go away on its own. You could also siphon some out every couple of days to speed up the process. Some people also feel it is related to an imbalance in NO3 and P04. Would be worth testing those to see if one is high and the other is 0. Before I did anything drastic, I would be increasing flow first. What you are talking about could cause worse problems, and if the cyano isn't that bad, it might not/probably wont get out of control (depending on nutrient situation and husbandry/flow).

This x1000

Most times cyano can be beaten by just increasing flow in the area its appearing.

Back