Local Fish Stores of Phoenix

I'm headed to Phoenix in a couple weeks. I'll probably only have time to see 1 maybe 2 stores. Which would you guys recommend? I'll be staying near the convention center but I don't mind driving out a ways to see a cool store.

Hm, I would say LE Corals and Club reef.....Shark Reef and aquarium arts are also good options.

I rarely see any aptasia in his(Jorrell at Club Reef) frag tanks, his invert tanks have them sometimes depending on where he keeps his peppermint shrimp. Just make sure to QT regardless of where you buy from, even LE corals who QT's their coral before selling anyway, always a good idea to at least keep an eye on them for a week or two for any issues.

Aquatouch is really well known in the industry. I would definitely visit them. The others, IMO, are good, some very good, but not as well known and are more laid back. I frequently visit Shark Reef in Scottsdale. I also love to visit Reef Monsters in Mesa. Just .02...

We need to update the list again. There are several new stores and some which have closed. What do you say sticky head master?

reef club?

reef club?

Hi there, I'm here in Gilbert, AZ. Is there a reef club in az or in the east valley? Would love to be apart of one. If there is not, maybe I or we can start one?

Hi there, I'm here in Gilbert, AZ. Is there a reef club in az or in the east valley? Would love to be apart of one. If there is not, maybe I or we can start one?

There is Arizona marine society is a local reef club is Phoenix look them up on Facebook or go into most lfs and ask them about AMS

Seems silly to say, but FRAG (this group) is a reef club in Phoenix and the East Valley. A good portion of the members live in the East Valley

Does anyone know the owner of ocean floor

Ocean's Floor is owned by Frank Mineo (SP?). I don't know if they still have their parent company of Great Western Pet Supply, but they are the same company/people that owned Payless Aquarium and Pet Supply years ago. Back before they were bought out by Petco.

West Valley

West Valley

Recently moved here from San Diego, where everything seems to be so more central to itself, quickly learning PHX can mean 2-3 hours to each other (mesa to surprise for instance). I appreciate all the info in this thread, but really would like to find a user group (the computer nerd comes out) err, reef club in the west valley. I remember the days of frag swaps, frag swap meets, DIY group events, DIY equipment builds, group buys on foods, equipment, technology tests and reviews with hands on at the meetings, anything happening out in the WAY WEST (Surprise for instance, buckeye, etc).

Much appreciated on any info guys.

-John

Salt Water Junkies is the best in the West valley. They are relatively new and growing fast. Great people, very knowledge, healthy fish and coral. They are actually offering a discount on aquarium maintenance right now.

As a somewhat recent transplant from Chicago who has visited a few stores my top 3 are (in no order):

1. Mas Frags - amazing selection of soft coral, LPS, and Z/p. VERY well organized grid system, great pricing, and a nice (but small) selection of higher end fish. Also has a QT system for fish and has them eating before they are put out for sale. Mikey was also the only local fish store owner who was able to locate me a Cosmetus Wrasse while they were "out of season". This store reminds me of a combination of my two favorite stores from
Chicago, Aquapros and the now closed MCF.

2. Club Reef - Jorell is great and very passionate about bringing in nice products. Always has a great selection of SPS and makes personal trips to California regularly to cherry pick coral. Also offers an interesting "fish insurance" policy. While it's probably not worth it for most purchases, it may be worth it to some on a high end fish purchase.

3. Aquarium Arts - This reminds me of your old school large brick and mortar LFS. Not a great selection of coral but a phenomenal selection of fish from low end to high end. Everything also looked very healthy. Unfortunately their pricing is hogh, but on some fish there are deals to be had. They also have a large amount of dry goods in stock if you need something right away and can't wait a day for the local dry goods guy.

Honorable mentions go to Coral Reef Imports and Artistic Aquariums. Both had nice shops but were restocking when I was there.

There are too many good lfs here that I wouldn't be able to compile a top 3 or even 5. All the top ones are fairly on the same level with each having an edge in some form. Whether it be selection, customer service, the ablitiy to aquire something, knowledge, etc.

The Pet Kona is an amazing store now that they remodeled. About 90% marine. Plenty of coral choices ranging in all sizes. Great and knowledgeable staff! I always enjoy the serene music as I am browsing.

Just went to Kona Reef again today, great selection, picked up some great ORA frags, and won a free $50 frag in their halloween raffle, I have found quality corals every time I have gone in

Epic Ocean

Epic Ocean

Epic Ocean's opened up about a month or two ago on the northeast corner of Mill and Southern. There use to be a different LFS here a few years back but it shut down about 2 years ago.

It's owned by one guy that; from what I've seen from the few times I've gone in there, works his butt off. He's given me a tour of his Quarantine tanks and his process of transitioning them to the display tanks and its quite impressive. He has amazing visions of the shops growth and hand picks his stock from California, This guy really cares.

One of the best looking shops on the East side that I've been to so far and has the potential to be one of the Top shops in AZ. The dry goods are a little scarce but has what you need to get by.

I just hope he doesn't get burned out doing all this by himself, he told me he hasn't hired anyone because he doesn't want to take funds away from being able to stock rare and demanding live stock.

I've only bought a Kryptonite Candy Cane and a War Coral but they are thriving. The Candy Cane has already developed a second mouth and the War has 3 more that I can see, and its only been in my take a month or so.

I highly recommend this shop.

French Angel for sale

French Angel for sale

I have a 9 inch French Angel that I'm looking to sell. Great fish and the only reason I want it sell is because he's too big for my tank.

Back