Loctite Superglue question

j83

I asked a question yesterday as to which glue works best when glueing live rock together. I got several answers and took the list to HD and nothing that was on my list was on their shelves. I guess Canadian and Amercian HD carry different stuff. Anyways I picked out 'LOCTITE SUPERGLUE GEL' - which contains Cyanoacrylate. Is this okay to use? All I want to do is take my live rock out of the water, glue it together and then put it back in ASAP. Anyone use this, any tips?

Thanks,

Jay

PS - they had another glue called Gorilla Glue - anyone used this?

Loctite works very well and is safe. If you're bonding together bigger pieces you might want to try using epoxy.

Thanks for the quick response. I couldn't find any of the recommended epoxy. I am glueing larger peices together, they aren't huge, but not small either. Is there certain ingredients that I should be on the look-out for?

Since you were at HD you can buy "aquamend". This is the epoxy I have used for many years. Alot of others on RC have also.

The putty comes in many different brand names, but I believe it is mostly the same stuff. I just bought some last week. I got it at Lowe's, I believe. You can also order it on-line from most any supplier in the fish trade. The tube that they market is a little larger. Look in the plumbing isle with all the fittings & pipe. This is what it looks like.

PlumbersPutty.jpg

This stuff works great and cures under water. Might want to cut your skimmer back some for a little while when you use it. Temporarily causes excessive foaming. My 2 sentz...

Back