Longnose hawkfish

jpa0741

I have read that a longnose hawkfish eat shrimp. Will it eat my cleaner shrimp? or do they just mean feeder shrimp?

Thanks,Jeff

I have always thought that any kind of hawkfish will eat snails,crabs and shrimp......I had a spotted hawkfish that at crabs all the time......just my .02 cents

Great fish!I had one but he leaped out.Didn't bother anything.
I replaced him with a Flamehawk.Another great fish

Thanks for the advice sofar, I am planning on making this my next fish. Any other comments?

Thanks,Jeff

It will only be a matter of time before your cleaner becomes an expensive snack. I wouldn't do it unless you don't care about losing your shrimp.

As always there are conflicting reports but I had one for years and it did not bother a soul. As a matter of fact it was one of the cooler fish I have ever owned. I just went through the same debate with my Hawaiian Pick Tail Trigger. I read where they would eat shrimp and small fish. The guy who owns my LFS said they were fine and actually has a huge one in his show tank. Well I have had him for a week and he is coolest fish I have owned. In reality I think fish are like people, it all depends on the personality of the fish not the type.

I'm with fio1022. I had a longnose, LOVED THAT FISH!!! didn't bother anything. Found him dried up on the floor. Jumped out thru a crack in top.

Replaced with Flame. A bit of a suspicious character. Doesn't actively bother anything. Alot of personality! BUT I have had a few things "go missing". A peppermint shrimp, all of the legs on an emerald crab and a very small twinspot goby. H doesn't bother larger shrimp (2 cleaners, 2 fire, 2 larger peppermints). A

Also, if you add the larger more decorative shrimp first that's supposed to decrease his likelihood of thinking that they are snacks vs he' in there world.

Trial and error. Just don't get used to any shrimp cause they might be on borrowed time.

Flame turned out to be my favorite.I haven't noticed anything missing.I have a coral banded and a fire shrimp hasn't bothered them at all.It was a gamble so Ive read.
Picture_1335.jpg

Yeah, the personality and those googly eyes make it worth having. I don't get heart broken when a crab or small shrimp disappears, but I'd be devastated to lose my flame, like I was when my Long nose died.

jpa0741, also check out Reeffishes forum here on RC. Lots of good info on many diff species.

IT depends on the fish. I have a Dwarf Hawk. They are a good choice if you love your shrimps and crabs. Mine perches next to my emralds just wishing he could eat them but because of his size the crabs completly ignore the hawk and go about their eating.

I have 2 cleaner shrimp that are pretty big. Do you think there will be less of a chance of him eating them if they are larger? Or does size not matter? Oh I just relized how that sounds. LOL:lol:

All depends on the fish... with any Hawkfish you have a %50 chance it will mind its P's and Q's.
On the other hand.... %50 chance it will eat inverts.

On average, the vast majority of hawkfishes (including longnose) eat shrimp. don't let the longnose's small mouth fool you...it will merely rip its prey apart in a piecemeal fashion. The least likely (though it eats them fairly often, as well) IME is the lyretail hawkfish.

My flamehawk is my favorite fish. I have tried to have shrimp three different times - the longest one lasted for about one week (he hid in the rocks pretty well).

As long as the flame lives I will not be able to keep shrimp - but that is ok - I like the flamehawk much more than any shrimp I might keep.

Well any ideas on next fish? It seems everything I think I want I find out something that won't work. I am only have 2 fish sofar in my 92g and can't seem to find anything else to put in. I don't want all small fish like a royal gramma or chromis. I currently have a f.p. clown and a sixline wrasse. I plan on getting a lemonpeel dwarf angel in the future when tank is a little older. Unless I hear the normal response of why I should not get it. I am planning on having maybe 7 fish total with a couple in the 5-6 range. Glad I didn't go with a bigger tank because I wouldn't be able to fill it. Oh this is a FOWLR tank. Thanks for letting me vent and any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,Jeff:)

Sorry forgot to mention I have a couple cleaner shrimp and crabs I kind of like having if possible.

Your going to find pros and cons on almost every canidate.The dwarf angels they say nip at sps's.I had a coral beauty that was an 'angel'.
Maybe Iv'e been lucky but haven't had a problems...

Back