Looking for a partime job, LFS?

sayn3ver

Hi all. I started into fish keeping in August of this year, now successfuly keeping a dwarf puffer and 3 otos in a 10g, planted low tech tank.

I am now starting to venture into high tech and possibly FO or FOWLR. I work at cvs as a pharm tech now and would like to see if i could get a second part time job maybe 1-2 days a week doing something related to my hobby.

I live within 5 minutes of a petsmart, a petco, and a lfs(been there for years, but i find the condition they keep their livestock in is subpar not to mention they are now starting to carry dyed and tatooed fish. I also live within 10-20min of a pretty decent fish store.

I dont have a whole lot of knowledge but am reading daily.

I also live and go to school minutes from the New Jersey State aquarium. I'd like to stop by and see if i could get a job helping maintain the tanks and hopefully learn a lot but i don't know what kind of qualifications one needs to have for a job like that. But i have a feeling the only jobs available would be like working the door and other trivial jobs.

Any suggestions. The reseason for working a retail job would be to learn more, get my feet wet so to speak, a discount, and to educate other potential hobbiests.

If i could get behind the scenes at the aquarim tho, i'd jump on that in a minute since i am sure their is better resume experience to be gained.

Adventure Aquarium (formerly New Jersey State) has a volunteer program as well as an internship program for assisting aquarists with tank maintenance. You could apply for that, but there's no money involved. The Aquarist jobs, even assisting, are very competitive. I'm sure they have seasonal jobs for the random things about the aquarium.

Qualifications for this program would be listed on the website, but generally being enthusiastic and having a little knowledge of aquarium husbandry will help you get a foot in the door. Intern programs are for college students.

There are several decent LFS in and around Philly depending on how far you want to drive. Most that I know will want you to have a good amount of experience. In Living Color, East Coast Aquatics both come to mind. Can't hurt to ask.

Are you trying to add this to your resume to build towards a career in the zoological field? Or just another positive experience?

PS: This post really belongs more in the Lounge, or General Discussion.

>Sarah

i am a college student at rutgers camden. I am majoring in animation so this will probably not be an experience towards a career in zoology, although you never know right?

I shall have to check out the internship situation and see if i can get a foot in. In reality, i just really like the hobby and the field and would like to be apart of it in one way or another.

Back