Looking for a small cheap router

scbadiver

I have a small probably 30 year old 5/8 HP Black & Decker router. It's seen it last bit of routing and I'd like to replace it with something similar but can't find anything. All I find now are small based laminate trimmers. I like the bigger base on the one I have as it makes it very stable when routing round overs, chamfers etc but is also small and light. Anybody seen a a little lightweight cheapie anywhere? I don't need a name-brand one either, anything is fine. Thanks folks!

I agree, I was just there last Wednesday! I actually bought a router bit set for making doors. I was skeptical but for $20 I gave it a shot and I was pleasantly surprised. I only had 10 doors to make and the bit did well and held up to the poplar. I'm sure oak would have torn it up quickly but it did what I needed and if I never use them again, I got my moneys worth! But, they only had small based laminate trimmers and bigger routers, :(

For something like a router, I would just buy the DeWalt or PC... a good router is a tool, a cheap one is a PITA.

"For something like a router, I would just buy the DeWalt or PC... a good router is a tool, a cheap one is a PITA."

I agree, I learned if you are going to buy tools get a good quality one. You might not need it now but later you will need it again and be glad you spent the extra money.

You're right Bean, for most applications. I have a couple of really nice routers already, a big plunge and big fixed base that I used for most jobs. I just really like the convenience and lightweight of my little cheapie for doing little stuff, trimming, small chamfers and coves and stuff. It just easy and I don't have to mess with mounting and unmounting from the router table etc. The quality is not going to be as big of a factor and the size and weight for me. Trust me, the old one was a real POS but, it worked great for everything I used that tool for.

Get a PC great little routers.. They arent that $$$ Most cheap routers are huge. My porter cable feels like a toy its so small. I use a cheap very large HD brand router on my router table.

my first was a craftsman - about $80 i think - a few years back - 1/4 collet only, but weighs nothing and does the trick if the job does not have to be perfect. Mrs Claus upgraded me for xmas last year - got me the ryobi fix/plunge - love it too, but it does weigh a bit more

I got a one of the small bosch laminate trimmers and like it better than the pc that it replaced. Not cheap but it is a good router. My experience with harbor frieght wasn't too good. Best of luck

Some of the craftsman's arent too bad. I was given a 1/2" one as a gift... I dont use it as much as the BOSCH monster I have, or as much as the Roto-Zip or Dremel even (also owned by Bosch), but it is built well enough... I use it for 'dirty' projects, like routing out a new sink cutout into my parent's corian countertop... so it is 'good enough' for most any of the things you would throw at it in this hobby if it can do that and not break a sweat.

The one I got has LED's for lighting up the work area, and I think was less than $80 on clearance. The ones on this page look similar:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?keyword=router#viewItems=21&pageNum=1&sortOption=BRAND

I would pick them over any ryobi or other cheaper option.

I have, well had, one of the routers from Harbor Freight. It is now wasting space in a landfill. The screws fell out of it before I ever used it. Now, I have a Craftsman. Not a world class router but does what I need it to do.

The HF stuff is hit or miss.

I got the small close quarters right angle drill to do the hidden fastners on my ground level 600 sq ft deck. I expected to buy 2 or 3 before the project was done. It was $35 compared to the $190 Milwakee (that NOBODY has in stock and has to be ordered) and it is every bit as good. I have to say I am very impressed with the quality and glad I did not order the milwakee. It (the HF) has a lifetime warranty too!
95877.gif

Their power tools are getting a lot better but again, it is hit or miss. I have the 4.5" angle grinder also and it is terrible. The gears are poorly meshed and it makes one hell of a lot of noise and gets pretty darn hot. My DeWalt RAG runs as smooth as can be...

I had the HF CMS (a well intentioned but unwanted gift) and it was just O.K. It was not very accurate or sturdy, but was fine for rough work and basic molding, etc. It was by no means a finish carpentry tool. The casting broke when I was using it to cut IPE hardwood. I replaced it with a RIGID CMS and am very happy.

As for routers, I have a DeWalt Plunge (fixed based, not the new quick change base) and a 30 year old Crapsman (1/4" collet). I have used the PC and Festool routers also. I had the crapsman mounted to the small router table, but honestly it was more trouble than it was worth.

I would never purchase a small router like that for anything. I would get a small laminate trimmer instead. The underpowered small routers are pretty much useless for anything more than the laminate trimmer can handle.

I agree you normally get what you pay for with tools, but I got a no name NIKOTA brand 29000rpm plunge/fixed router with table and 4 bits at BigLots a couple of years ago for $59.

The bits were junk and I had to make a new fence for the table, but other than that I've gotten a lot of use out of it and it's been great.

I think it is generally a crap shoot with cheap tools, but if you're feeling lucky you may try there or Pep Boys.

"I would never purchase a small router like that for anything. I would get a small laminate trimmer instead. The underpowered small routers are pretty much useless for anything more than the laminate trimmer can handle."

EXACTLY! - That is what I used my little router for, I just liked the wider base as opposed to the laminate trimmer's smaller one. I used it for little trimming jobs and stuff. I have an older 3HP Ryobi, variable speed, plunge that is great and an crapsman 2HP Plunge router as well. I use them for everything else, I just really liked that little 5/8HP B&D for trimming and rounding over edges on tanks and bigger, assembled stuff. Looks like I'm going to end up with the laminate trimmer if nothing else is out there anymore. Thanks guys.

Just get a name brand. It will last forever with little care needed. Check eBay, pawn shops, and Craigs List. Reconditoined is another route. I purchased my PC sander reconditioned 10 years later it is still good as new.

You can get PC D-handle 691's for about $160 and $110 reconditioned. Nice and easy to control for small hand work.
Nowadays the cheapo stuff is real junk. Many years ago sears and even BD was ok for hobbiest but I wouldnt touch one anymore.

Don

Back