Looking for black sand

godoggo

Hey, I'm looking for black sand for a new nano I'm setting up. Does anyone know where I can pick-up some locally?

lol thats funny i was just going to say try petco. black sand should look cool can you post a pic so i can see what it looks like?

if it is the tahitian black sand, i looked at it under a microscope once and it looks like it is made of crushed, black glass. it does look cool, but it wont take long for it to look really nasty in a SW tank.

I would honestly suggest the aragonite black sand (sold at Petco, also go figure) it is white and black sand mixed and I think it looks really cool, it is not the tahitian moon sand, which is useless in a reef tank (IMHO) since you can't use sand sifting creatures and it doesn't support "live" sand type cultures very well (not saying it isn't possible), and yes, it looks nasty unless you clean and maintain it yourself very well.

black reef sand

black reef sand

Thanks for all the comments - I got the Natures Ocean bio-active live aragonite black reef sand - it looks pretty black, the pics are crummy.
I'm setting up a Fluval Edge, 6 gal. It's pretty cool, we'll see how it preformas as a reef tank.
My daughter wants to put in a purple firefish, and a shrimp. I'ts cycling now with a lone chromis and live rock from our big tank.

Attachments

• fluval edge 001.jpg
    fluval edge 001.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 0
  • fluval edge 004.jpg
    fluval edge 004.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 0
that sand looks a lot different than the tahitian moon sand. we'll have to see how it looks over the long haul. it should make the colors of corals and fish pop prett well.

hey i've have an edge too. wish I would have used black. lets build you a led light kit for cheap (60$)

Attachments

• IMGA0855.jpg
    IMGA0855.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 0
ooooooohhhhhh, and the same cute firefish! Looks like you have had really good results with softies - how long has yours been set-up? How do the led's connect to the out-of-the-box lighting?

since sept. come over so we can diy you a LED kit. lots has changed in the tank. and sometimes frustrating. but plan to change into a NPS only . but I want black sand now...

Attachments

• IMGA0825.jpg
    IMGA0825.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 0
yeah the black sand looks pretty good. also i like the leds for that tank it would look way better than the light it comes with.

Back