looking for return pump for 120 (future sps/lps tank)

btb72

how much turnover should I have on a 4x2x2 120g. I have been thinking about the SICCE SYNCRA SILENT 4.0 PUMP (951 GPH), but just making sure that is the proper amount of turnover rate for a sps tank. if not should I bump up to the SICCE SYNCRA SILENT 5.0 PUMP (1321 GPH). thanks for your help in advance. My sump is a 40 gallon breeder if that matters much.

I have 4x2x2 tank and I went with fluval sea sp2 (950gph). Pump is quiet and I have it hard plumbed. There is not much flow coming back into the tank, but good contact time in the sump. I am setting up sps tank and I have 2 gyre 150's in the tank for flow.

ce1fc8baa195de1fb71b6be16c1641a4.jpg

Last edited:
cost no object I would still get a jaebo pump. It is also one of the least expensive pumps. It is dc driven and fully adjustable. You can adjust flow easily. If you have too much flow your overflow box will sound like a waterfall.

Look more to your internal pumps, powerheads for flow, and have enough in you open loop to feed the skimmer etc.

cost no object I would still get a jaebo pump. It is also one of the least expensive pumps. It is dc driven and fully adjustable. You can adjust flow easily. If you have too much flow your overflow box will sound like a waterfall.

Look more to your internal pumps, powerheads for flow, and have enough in you open loop to feed the skimmer etc.

lol... If cost were no object I would go with abyzz, top quality german pump with a 10 year lifetime warranty.

I have the Ecotech Vectra M1 on my 80g (48x24x16) and have to run it on its lowest setting because my single herbie overflow can't handle more than that. But should I want to upgrade, it's a pump I can keep with me for a long time. I'm really happy with it so far, it's a nice little DC pump.

The fluval sp series seems like the best bang for your buck the sp6 puts out as much flow as a 400$ DC pump and has good head hieght. I think they have Askoll motor blocks in them same as red dragon. If you oversize the return pump you have the option to run a manifold to supply reactors or add more returns back into the display for flow without powerheads. Personally I dont like the water passing through my sump so fast. I only run around 400gph on my 150 giving my skimmer a chance to process the water a bit more.

+1 on the eheim 1262 or even a 1260. I use eheims for both the return and skimmer. I had eheim 1260s on my last tank-75 gallon- that ran for 5 years and still were going strong when I sold it. My current eheim 1262s in my 210 are 4 years old and have no issues.

Back