Looking for suggestions on new tank

Tuffloud1

Hi everyone -

I've had my current 90 gallon in-wall tank running for 5 years now. I've learned so much thanks to the great people on this forum. Currently the equipment is all located in the large closet space where the tank/sump is accessible.

I'm looking to expand my system with a 6-7 foot tank on the right side of the current in wall 90 gallon tank. The spot I have to work with has a maximum depth of 30 inches. I want to keep the 90 gallon in the wall as is but tie the new tank into the same system.

My idea was to get a tank with a left side overflow like a peninsula style and plumb through the left side wall and build trim/cabinetry to conceal overflow.

I'm looking for suggestions/ideas on what I could use the 90 gallon for if tied into the same system as the new 265-300 gallon. Trying to decide on whether to keep the 90 gallon or not.

I included some pictures of the room.

I know it's kind of vague, I'm just brainstorming at this point.

Thanks for any ideas, suggestions.

Attachments

• 9712CFFF-4F6A-4BB1-9154-2890DC44727C.jpg
    9712CFFF-4F6A-4BB1-9154-2890DC44727C.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 0B27CB53-CC45-4E1B-B1FC-8A9BBEB2E09D.jpg
    0B27CB53-CC45-4E1B-B1FC-8A9BBEB2E09D.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 7BF200BA-1F6E-4B12-84B3-EEE587C165CA.jpg
    7BF200BA-1F6E-4B12-84B3-EEE587C165CA.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 0
If you're going to keep the 90 make it a species highlight for something difficult to incorporate into a regular reef. Maybe a seahorse tank or a macro algae display.

If you're going to keep the 90 make it a species highlight for something difficult to incorporate into a regular reef. Maybe a seahorse tank or a macro algae display.

If I keep the 90, I want it on the same system as the new tank.

From what I've read, Sea Horses need cooler temperature than typical reef tanks. What about other parameters?

Anyone successful in keeping Sea Horses in the same system as their mixed reef or sps dominate mixed reef?

To be honest it will look silly.

I like the clean look of your current in wall set up....

I say leave as is or start a new tank in a different part of the house or build another faux wall to hide the new tank in..... Unless you are trying to become Sea World?? lol

I think you're on to something there. It really wouldn't take all that much to extend that wall, remove the 90 and then OP could do like an 8ft x 30 x 30 tank instead of limiting it to the 6ft. Would look sweet. In the grand scheme of a large tank a little lumber and wall board is cheap.

I think you're on to something there. It really wouldn't take all that much to extend that wall, remove the 90 and then OP could do like an 8ft x 30 x 30 tank instead of limiting it to the 6ft. Would look sweet. In the grand scheme of a large tank a little lumber and wall board is cheap.

agreed if he is going to do it I say do it right. Do one larger tank and extend the wall so it can all be concealed. I really like the look of it now and if he just did something similar but larger that would be awesome :fish1:

^ agreed that would be cool add some dimensionality to the tank.

I wish my wife would let me do something like that at our house, but she's pretty fixed on the thought that my 25G is enough lol

Yeah, tearing apart my tray ceiling and reconfiguring is not an option wheich would be required to put in another wall.

I agree it will look silly if not done right.

My wife is okay with another tank not over 6 feet, but doesn’t want the house torn apart.

My thought was to use the 90 as a display refugium and build the stand/cabinetry for the new tank to compliment the current in wall tank without tearing apart the ceiling.

^ I mean if you can do it and make it look like 1 complete complimentary system then that's cool.

IMO their is a higher chance it's just going to look like 2 tanks and just look awkward and weird and not flow together right.

It would require installing a header in that load bearing wall in order to add a large enough door to access the back of the larger span of tank. There isn’t a ton of space from the back of the tank as is and the wall in that closet.

Then I would have to extend my tray ceiling. It would definitely be a bit of work.

Yeah, I think extending the wall is the way to go.

Now I just need to convince my wife. The plus is I don’t have to build a canopy and finished stand.

If you could extend the wall, I think that would look very cool. Make it an 8 or 9 foot tank (if you can afford that as it will obviously be custom), and possibly use the 90 in the
large closet space as a refugium for macro algae and for pods to breed.

Anyone have a link or pictures to an in wall build where the tank is on an outside corner that is viewable through the front and 1 side of the glass?

Okay, so after some more brainstorming, I think I would be happy with a 72x24x30 or 72x24x25. I was leaning toward the 7 foot, but it would require much more extensive remodeling.

The 6 foot tank allows me to get away without any modification to the current tray ceiling and also still gives me just enough access to the back of the tank without having to widen the door opening. The 6 foot also allows me to keep the existing walls and lining up the right pane of glass with the current wall.

In these pictures, the tape is in place where the same wood trim would be around the new tank.

What do y’all think about the proportion to the room and height off the floor?

I’m tall with long arms so I could handle the 30 height.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• E9527B96-04F7-4617-A58A-B9F608C7F752.jpg
    E9527B96-04F7-4617-A58A-B9F608C7F752.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 081D5DA3-16CE-43EE-B155-EF8F61E35C3C.jpg
    081D5DA3-16CE-43EE-B155-EF8F61E35C3C.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 0
I agree with the other posts here but just food for thought, I do have an in wall tank with two sided viewing that is 300 gallons and is a mixed reef. That tank is LPS dominant and a lot of fish.
Wow if not directly next to the other tank, across the room I have a smaller tank with just a few beneficial fish with the rest high end Coral. Two different similar tanks but one focusing more on the fish, while the other is focusing more on the high end Coral. Careful though going to the high-end Coral, it gets really expensive"¦

Back