Looking to add some variety to my tank

Thanks! I love this genus also, I've been actively searching for a richmondi for a while. H. rubricephalus is also beautiful, I've done research on them in the past but again, haven't seen one come up. I also didn't really see "why" exactly they are difficult, if it is known.

H. rubricephalus are difficult, in large part, because of where they are from; Flores and Bangaii atoll. These locations are a 3 day boatride to Bali, where they are shipped from. Large male Halichoeres wrasses have a harder time during shipping anyway, add to that 3 days in a collection container in the tropical sun and you have an equation for poor success.

If you can find a female or a young male, or better yet one that has been in the shop for a week or more, the success rate goes way up. Once acclimated to aquarium life they are as hardy as any other Halichoeres species.

The list of wrasses you posted will work, just bear in mind the potters leopard is difficult as well.

H. rubricephalus are difficult, in large part, because of where they are from; Flores and Bangaii atoll. These locations are a 3 day boatride to Bali, where they are shipped from. Large male Halichoeres wrasses have a harder time during shipping anyway, add to that 3 days in a collection container in the tropical sun and you have an equation for poor success.

If you can find a female or a young male, or better yet one that has been in the shop for a week or more, the success rate goes way up. Once acclimated to aquarium life they are as hardy as any other Halichoeres species.

The list of wrasses you posted will work, just bear in mind the potters leopard is difficult as well.

Thanks for the info! That definitely makes more sense now.

Back