Looks like imported wild rock days are over....

liverock

RC Sponsor
Well...after getting all the updates on the situation in Fiji.....is my opinion that Pukani dry rock is going the way of the dinosaurs.

It does not look like the government of Fiji/United States is going to allow the export of Pukani, and any other live/dry rock out of Fiji anymore, except for man made rock.

This will mean a total shift from rock harvested/cultured in the wild to ever be imported into the US ever again.

We all knew this was coming, eventually, just as the closures in the Marshall Islands, Tonga...ext. was just a matter of time.

It is most likely a good thing for the hobby and our environment, but will be shift in the industry, displace many hard working folks in Fiji..is sad...as Walt's work there was amazing ...is always hard to start a new precipice..... but inevitable ...hopefully good things will come from this situation ...

The future is now......

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

Last edited:
for the most part, maricultred man made rock = man made rock. So, in terms of the hobby, I dont think much will change.

Here in Brazil, "live-rock" is strictly prohibited to be sold. Even if it was cultivated in-house from a dry rock. I was fortunate that a LFS literally gave me some free because I was a good customer in buying other things, but selling live-rock is a criminal offense.
The owner basically said "I am going in the back-room now, so take the pieces you want and leave before I come back".

This was from yesterday:

I know its been over a month since we have put out an update, and trust me when I say we have been in the offices of the government every day of this 70 day ban.

Walt and Dave spent this time providing data and records to show the Prime Minister and his staff how WSI operates and the sustainable efforts we have already established in the 23 years we have been in Fiji. After many long presentations and meetings the Prime Minister was convinced of our success, honesty and commitment to the Fiji Reefs.

The government will be setting up an monitoring team to ensure compliance and work with us on the future of Fiji's Reefs, ensuring they will be around for everyone to enjoy forever.

We openly welcome all of this as we have always had an open door policy toward our government.

We can now officially say that the Fiji Coral ban has now been lifted and our quota for 2018 is being restored.

WSI still has a rough road ahead of us in getting everything back on track but this is a huge hurdle and we are excited to be able to start getting back to normal business.

This was from yesterday:

I know its been over a month since we have put out an update, and trust me when I say we have been in the offices of the government every day of this 70 day ban.

Walt and Dave spent this time providing data and records to show the Prime Minister and his staff how WSI operates and the sustainable efforts we have already established in the 23 years we have been in Fiji. After many long presentations and meetings the Prime Minister was convinced of our success, honesty and commitment to the Fiji Reefs.

The government will be setting up an monitoring team to ensure compliance and work with us on the future of Fiji's Reefs, ensuring they will be around for everyone to enjoy forever.

We openly welcome all of this as we have always had an open door policy toward our government.

We can now officially say that the Fiji Coral ban has now been lifted and our quota for 2018 is being restored.

WSI still has a rough road ahead of us in getting everything back on track but this is a huge hurdle and we are excited to be able to start getting back to normal business.

:celeb1:

Back