Lost all maximas

krak256

This summer I bought 3 small maxima clams, probably just under 2 inches. They have been doing well but notably they weren't showing shell growth.

In the last month to six weeks, all 3 maximas started to display pinched mantle. I thought it was stress and didn't do much but in the last few weeks after they haven't shown improvement and the PM was getting worse, I started changing carbon every few days.

Unfortunately I lost all 3 maximas. However I do have a large deresa which is approximately 4 inches which has been doing well and is growing quite a bit.

I would love to get more maximas but given my poor experience, I'm not sure if I want to try again. Does anyone know what could have caused the PM?

Maybe 2 months ago I did have a large alk drop due to unknown reasons (potentially bad salt mix as I dose 2 part). At that same time my calc was at or over 500ppm. Other than that, my other parameters were in good ranges. I did have a bit of SPS burn but nothing major. Thanks!

Out of my 4 ORA gold maximas, only one survived past 4-6 weeks. The 4th one is still going strong going on 4 months. All were 1.5"-2".

Out of my 2 blue maximas both are still going strong 3-4 months in. But those were both bought at around 3". Also my derasa is going strong at around 4 months and that one was also over 3". I do believe that ita hit or miss with clams when they are under 2". Its usually not related to out water chemistry.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

By the way, before they perished, they all started with pinched mantle like symptoms and freshwater baths did not really help.

By the way, before they perished, they all started with pinched mantle like symptoms and freshwater baths did not really help.

Oof, I had similar results. Tried carbon changes then as a last resort I did fresh water bath. Clam died the following day.

Back