Lost My First Fish

JRPhd

Well, I added my first three fish to my 40 gallon ~2 weeks ago. The tank had been cycled for 2 months and parameters were in check, with the exception of 5ppm N03. I added 2 Bangaii (small fish) and 1 small Copperband butterfly. The fish were somewhat new to the LFS, but were all eating at least live brine. Anyhoo, I acclimated them separately over 2 hours and did a quick freshwater (8.2ph) dip. All fish ate, although the CBB ate the most. Over time the Bangaii's ate less and less. Yesterday , the smaller of the two Bangaii was hanging out in the corner. Today, I can't find him anywhere :( ! I've looked everywhere except underneath the LR. The CBB is still doing well and eating like a champ. The other Bangaii looks Ok, but is quiet. Other than what happened, I guess my only real question is will there be a large ammonia spike now? I have 5-8 Nass snails, two mythrax, and 6 micro hermits.
Jon

Last edited:
being a 40 gal tank and having the crabs if it did died i'm sure the crabs already had thier meal for the day and clean the dead fish up. You might see a small spike just probaly need to do a 10 to 20% water change if you see it coming

Thnx Burton. Anyone ideas about my husbandry that may have contributed to this. Only thing I didn't do by the book is let the fish sit @ the LFS for a few weeks b4 buying. Otherwise, the more delicate CBB is still going strong...

It is entirely possible the cardinals were not healthy when you got them and the other may follow in death soon (or hopefully not). Then you may very well see the CBB follow from starvation down the road. Hopefully he will keep eating but they need well established rock to eat what those noses were made for. I have never put one in a new tank and I hope he keeps eating for you.
I wish you the very best of luck.

Very sorry to hear about your loss. When my tank was new I lost several fish (all except one). I think that is was due to my tank being new. I have heard it takes about 6months for your tank to become stable. There is an article on what things happen to your tank that are untestable.

Thanks Zuk & FFM. My CBB continues to eat PE mysis and now krill robustly. If things change I'll give strong consideration to an older, larger home. FFM or others, is there a reference you can provide for that article. Otherwise I'll do a search early in the am...

Back