Lowering Glass Overflow?

kaxt

I have a 40g breeder with a DIY overflow. The tank bottom is drilled and the overflow is the full height of the tank in the back corner. It is a layer of 1/8" glass siliconed to a piece of 1/8" acrylic. I realize some people will say this is a horrible idea but it's been set up for a year now with no problems.

Anyways, my overflow is too high and I was wondering if there is a way to lower the height of it. I'm moving at the end of June and will have to take everything out of the tank and was hoping there would be an easy way to fix the overflow before I set everything back up. Any suggestions?

I built the overflow the way I did so I could take a razor to it to remove coralline but still can't see through it. I painted the back side of the glass and the front side of the acrylic and then glued them together. It's worked well minus the height issue.

Pictures of the overflow can be seen in my build thread:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2293768

If the acrylic is taller then just remove the acrylic from the glass and cut it down.
If the glass and the acrylic are equal in height, then it looks like you may have to start over and make a new one.

I was afraid of that. The glass and acrylic are the same height.

I'll build a new one before I move and then once I take down the tank I can get it replaced more quickly.

get a handheld glass cutter, try to score and snap the glass? just take a razor and release the silicone on each edge the same depth as the cut youre trying to make. might be worth a shot.

that, or buy a dremel with a diamond bit and just cut it

get a handheld glass cutter, try to score and snap the glass? just take a razor and release the silicone on each edge the same depth as the cut youre trying to make. might be worth a shot.

that, or buy a dremel with a diamond bit and just cut it

This is not a safe or good way to go about it. The overflow needs to be removed and cut a good 1" or 1.5" off the top edge. It is glass, and trying to fix it in-place will likely endup breaking the oveflow, or breaking the one working on it.

Back