Lubbock wrasse

Moort82

Has anyone else got a lubbocks? I'm now on my second. Had the first years ago for about 5 years. It was never the most outward of fish when I was around and it wasn't bullied by anything but just remained slightly reclusive. I pic one and qt it where it was taking everything and doing really well. Relatively friendly then but slightly shy as you'd expect. It is now in the reef and greedily feeds but hangs around in the same spot all day long, which is at the back around a save retreat in some macro algae. It did really enjoy playing with my yellow fin flasher and still does from time to time but is mainly staying towards the back. Its only been a week and I'm not worried, just wondered if they are a shyer species or if they do become bolder with time?

Any lubbocks wrasses I have ever owned have been fairly outgoing, never the dominant fish, but not shy. Sometimes other tankmates, particularly more assertive wrasses can have that affect.

There hasn't been anything asserting dominance on it that I have seen and it is fairly bold at feeding times where again it freely swims in the upper waters without anything bothering it. I know its early days and I'm pleased how well it has settled so far but a little wary because of the last one.

ive had one for prob about 6 months now, was shy the first week but now is out all the time, hangs out with my pbt constantly. feeding time it is rite there with everyone eating. no one has ever chased or bothered it since introduction. tankmates are, pbt, 2 henochius butterfly,2 chromis, sleeper goby, lawnmower blenny, 2 clowns, 2 flame angels, and gets cleaned sometimes by the shrimp, so far so good.

Hmm, mine is the second fish in my tank (royal gramma was the first), and the Lubbock's is always out and about, and has even gotten the royal gramma to explore more of the tank. Mine does hang out towards the back of the tank at time eating pods off the glass -- maybe yours is doing the same?

Thanks for the info. It was a little bolder today and I hope that continues. It remains untroubled by anything so I don't see why that wouldn't be the case.

I had one for about 5 years as well. He was always out and about, but could be bullied by aggressive fish.

I have had one for almost 2 years. Its in my 125 along with 10 other Wrasses (mix of Fairy, Flasher, Leopard & Halichoeres). Definitely the most "shy" of the bunch, spending about 50% of its time behind the rockwork. But it never chases anyone, and doesn't get bullied himself. I have had more than one tell me it is their favorite fish in my tank. And of course, it was the least expensive Wrasse, by far!

It is getting there. There is a mix of 6 other wrasse in the tank, 4 Hali's a flasher and another fairy but like the above they leave it well alone and it isn't bothered by them at all. It is coming out more and exploring the upper layers but is definitely more timid than any wrasse I've had. It was at the lfs for a few months as well, so I'd have thought it was acclimated to people but I guess it could be the reason its shyer. Not worried by it as I can watch it from afar and hopefully have years to bring it out more.

Back