Lyretail anthias male purchased looks like popeye

Anchorpal

Help! Got this fish last week from LFS - he was sitting in a corner - thought bigger fish were picking on him. First time with anthias. Also bought one female who is healthy. Put both in quarentine and were swimming, but more and more he isolated and tonight he looks like he's lost part of his lower tail and has popeye. I originally did 1/2 dose cupramine and tonight with 10g water change, dosed with Prazipro. How long should I keep that prazipro water in tank. I have 20g QT set up with HOB filter with polymesh, no carbon.

Thanks all.

IMG_1912.jpg

It is likely that your fish is suffering from bacterial infection. You need to treat it with appeopriate medication, such as Seachem KanaPlex or Waterlife Myxazin.

I have had the worst time with Lyretail Male Anthias. I dont know why, I have kept harems of females alive but the males are so fragile it seems. I have even had a female change a few times and once they finished the change would lose them eventually. I have stopped trying with males and only keep females now.

i've had a similar experience with male lyretails. i'm not sure if it's because they tend to be older, or have had more stressful lives, but they don't seem to last nearly as long as the females. i've had two outright males. first one died right out of the shipping bag. got a second one, didn't last that long, a couple months.

the females in the harem lasted a lot longer. dropping off one by one over about 4 years, until i have just one left now. who appears to be starting to transition to male. hopefully this won't be a death sentence.

Back