Mag Flake

TBR701

Now that the weather has gotten colder, has anyone see Mag flake locally? I know that I can mail order it but didn't want to pay the shipping.

Nothing i have seen. I have been people looking for it in three states. I ended up mail ordering it. I figured I spent 5 times the shipping costs in gas and dissappoinment!

Phishy busness had bags of it sitting on their shelves. They were premeasured for our tanks not enough to do sidewalks :)

hey guys, my store was using mag flake for ice melt the other day in coshocton. I can find out where they bought it.

Can't you also use "calcium chloride" like DOW flakes, I know you can get that locally for like $15.00 a bag... I got a tub of Excel Icemelt from SAMS Club, and I am pretty sure was labled as "calcium chloride"...

Shawn, I am trying to raise the magnesium level, not the calcium level. That is why I need the mag flake instead of the calcium chloride.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9272895#post9272895 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TBR701
Shawn, I am trying to raise the magnesium level, not the calcium level. That is why I need the mag flake instead of the calcium chloride.

Sorry I was kinda replying to szwab about using it on sidewalks...

I ended up ordering it on line from harveysalt.com... It was $15.00 a bag, but S/H was $35.00... I have close to 1k water vol and MAG requires ALOT of flakes to boost... Depending on how much your looking for I maybe able to sell you some...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9271538#post9271538 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by asnatlas
Can't you also use "calcium chloride" like DOW flakes, I know you can get that locally for like $15.00 a bag... I got a tub of Excel Icemelt from SAMS Club, and I am pretty sure was labled as "calcium chloride"...

Dow flake is calcium chloride but in a flake form. Dow is the brand that Randy used in his testing and 3 part formulas. Other brads could potentially have some filler materials that could possibly be unhealthy for tanks.
Pella dow is essencially the same same as dow flake but you need less of it than flake to get the same results.

Mag flake is magnesium chloride. and will melt ice as well.

not sure if that is what you were asking about

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9273483#post9273483 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by szwab
Dow flake is calcium chloride but in a flake form. Dow is the brand that Randy used in his testing and 3 part formulas. Other brads could potentially have some filler materials that could possibly be unhealthy for tanks.
Pella dow is essencially the same same as dow flake but you need less of it than flake to get the same results.

Mag flake is magnesium chloride. and will melt ice as well.

not sure if that is what you were asking about

I guess I ment to make a statement, not ask a question... But calcium chloride can also be used to melt ice... Just FYI for people looking for ways to melt ice since alot of places have been out of salt...

Back