magic eraser

Beans21

Motgage guy
I've heard people use magic eraser to clean the diatoms off the glass

can anyone share their 1st hand knowledge and are there any chemicals in the sponge

Thanks

I believe it's an inert plastic that is safe to use. However particles may stay in your tank from the scrubbing process.

There are those who use it and those that don't here. Thus the following posts will most likely present each side.

I've heard people use magic eraser to clean the diatoms off the glass

can anyone share their 1st hand knowledge and are there any chemicals in the sponge

Thanks

Perfectly safe , works good"¦ Just make sure you get the original mr clean one. The scented ones have chemicals added.

I use the original mr clean magic eraser and cut into ~1/4 inch sheets and put it between my magnet cleaner. Works wonders, won't clean my glass without it.

Been using magic erasers on my glass tank for years....never had to deal with scratches on my glass....never impacted my fish/corals negatively....I would highly recommend them

So I used it and all my fish were floating belly up. J/k

It worked great, no scratches on the acrylic and I can see my fish again

Thanks for all the replies

I use the original mr clean magic eraser and cut into ~1/4 inch sheets and put it between my magnet cleaner. Works wonders, won't clean my glass without it.

exactly what I do, I turn one sponge into 3 sponges and a wedge between the magnet cleaner. I'll never go back to regular magnet, or scraper, or credit card like I did for a long time.

I also use it without any issues....much cheaper (and works better) than buying the standard aquarium pads for cleaning.

You really shouldn't be using them for anything you HAVE TO rub more than once.

They do come apart and easily. It's an inert plastic, it's not biodegradable, but it can be eaten by your critters and cause any number of problems like the plastic particulates are causing in the ocean. Even the instructions say "do not ingest".

It's best to get something meant for the aquarium trade for your specific type of tank. I mean really, why take the chance?

If you have a random death are you opening the organism to discover gut content to be sure it's not abunch of plastic lodged in their GI tract or such?

You really shouldn't be using them for anything you HAVE TO rub more than once.

They do come apart and easily. It's an inert plastic, it's not biodegradable, but it can be eaten by your critters and cause any number of problems like the plastic particulates are causing in the ocean. Even the instructions say "do not ingest".

It's best to get something meant for the aquarium trade for your specific type of tank. I mean really, why take the chance?

If you have a random death are you opening the organism to discover gut content to be sure it's not abunch of plastic lodged in their GI tract or such?

Your concerns were addressed by numerous people and no where in your thread did you show any relationship with the use of magic erasers and random death.

Your concerns were addressed by numerous people and no where in your thread did you show any relationship with the use of magic erasers and random death.

This argument literally can't be settled because as long as things die in a reef tank and people are using the Magic Eraser you can say that it might have caused the death. Even if it's really unlikely, aside from doing a gut content analysis you can never know for sure. I have never used a Magic Eraser and have had several mysterious deaths. People have used the Magic Eraser for years with no deaths. I highly doubt it's dangerous. But you can't prove definitively that it's not. So it's possible, and that's the crux of his argument. It's really weak, like the "you can't prove God doesn't exist" argument that says therefore he does, but it's not invalid.

My experience is the ones with the wavy edges have chemicals, the ones that have straight edges that are perfectly rectangular are safe to use ("original"). Never had problems in the tank related to the use of these as far as I can tell, but I've personally never been happy with how they clean the glass. Far more passes than a mag float just to get basic diatoms off, and it seemed they came back quicker and stronger, my glass got weirdly slimy. My mag float takes about three passes to get Coraline algae off, I could scrub as much as I wanted with a magic eraser and nothing

But you can't prove definitively that it's not. So it's possible, and that's the crux of his argument. It's really weak, like the "you can't prove God doesn't exist" argument that says therefore he does, but it's not invalid.

No, you can prove it doesn't affect things, but you have to actually try.

And if you use this in the tank to "scrub" anything, it will come apart. I had a physicist tell me there's no physics involved. I asked him if he used zero force then? (yes, that's a smart joke, but definitive truth)

This thing, can, and will over time, degrade from abrasion in your tank. And as it does, it's particulate matter. What consumes particulate matter in our tanks and even covers themselves in a mucous to get particulates to stick to them? Yes, corals.

Someone else chimed in another post and said, "what's the big deal, my fish eats parts of it when it breaks apart and it's still alive?!"
I think the point is proven. There's quite a few studies now on the effects of small man-made particulates affecting marine environments.

To anyone that uses it though, +1 for keeping it real and introducing pollution to your tank :p

Back