magic eraser

Ill be happy when the 1000 word posts about magic erasers end. A simple, "Im still not convinced they are ok" or "In my experience there haven't been any problems" is really all that is required.

My 1 year old son was chewing on a piece of foam Nerf dart yesterday.
I pulled most of it out of his mouth. I'm sure he swallowed some.
Should I be concerned?
Should I throw away all Nerf products?
Should I now be worried about CPS showing up at my door for posting it on the interwebs?
Maybe he would have been better off left in the wild? That little box we call a house is so cramped and full of dangerous stuff compared to the big outside world he could be living in.
Hmmmm....

Ill be happy when the 1000 word posts about magic erasers end. A simple, "Im still not convinced they are ok" or "In my experience there haven't been any problems" is really all that is required.

I agree since the OP specifically asked for first hand knowledge. Not speculation, theories or irrelevant links. Talk about a hijacked, derailed train wreck of a thread.

I find that Magic Eraser sandwiches with Miracle Whip are delicious. Seriously though, someone is spewing the same SUBJECTIVE arguments as a previous infamous post. It gets old...quickly.

Do the particles get skimmed away? Do they get caught in filter socks? Do they fall into the sand and act like small sand particles do?

It's fair to raise questions and have a healthy debate. The following possible scientific study can advance not only the hobby but give us a greater understanding of how our actions effect the reef. Ultimately, it's about the animals and their well being in our tanks and in nature. Anything we can learn about them is valuable. While I understand the annoyance with debate that goes nowhere, I think it's an interesting topic that could go somewhere if approached properly.

To say you're certain it's ok because you haven't seen any issues with it is just as bad as someone saying it will absolutely kill things while having relatively little supporting evidence. People accepted that the world was flat for a long time. We could have just said who cares, not like we need to travel to the edge anyway. But human nature is to be curious about things, research them, and discover. Accepting something based on relatively limited observation and not allowing questioning of it is unscientific and not really what this forum is about IMO.

I think the argument is valid but it's being presented poorly on both sides, leading to ****ing matches that end up nowhere. It's a shame but it happens all the time on the internet.

While I'm not comfortable using the Magic Eraser in my tank, I am sitting here thinking it may help on the hard water marks in my bathroom!
When Magic Eraser was brand new, I remember getting a bunch of 'chainmail' style emails saying people had had violent skin reactions to it and it was going to poison your whole family. You know, like the wet Swiffer pads and any petroleum based cleaning product.

Do the particles get skimmed away? Do they get caught in filter socks? Do they fall into the sand and act like small sand particles do?

Maybe, maybe and maybe. It's possible that all three happen, it's possible that none do. If the prices that break off are smaller than the size of the openings on the sock, they will fall through. If not, they will be pulled out. If they are small enough to be suspended they may get skimmed out. If they are big they may just sink to the bottom. If you have proper flow in your tank the pieces that might break off should stay suspended, but they could end up anywhere in your tank really.

FWIW, I tried the original one yesterday and it does work quite well. No I'll effects yet, but that is by no mean an endorsement yet.

Has anyone run a test in a small test system? Say rub a whole sponge down and put it in a 20gal plastic container, then circulate with a pump and a side skimmer. Let it run for a day, and then collect the media and weigh it out to see what ended up where. Let it run for two days, etc...

I'm a scientist and that seems like a reasonable and cheap way to quantify the event and probable outcomes.

Maybe he would have been better off left in the wild?

there are too many "unknowns" out there. it's easier to just lock him in a room until he turns 18 and then kick 'im to the curb. don't ask me how i know this. :eek:

i use magic eraser to get great dane drool off the window. i wonder if bentley is ingesting particles of it that might be left behind every time i do this which is pretty much every day. i mean, it hasn't killed him but, could this be why he is so dumb?

there are too many "unknowns" out there. it's easier to just lock him in a room until he turns 18 and then kick 'im to the curb. don't ask me how i know this. :eek:

Thanks, Nina.
Although I was kinda reserving that for my daughter.
Except no way she's getting out at 18. More like 30.

Hey Whiteshark, thanks for the info. I can see the others would rather just take things at face value. I find it hillarious they do this for a possible contaminant in the tank, but not an entire system. (ME foam vs vodka dosing etc)
We've all heard it, something along the lines of, "until you're running for 10+ years that shows nothing about the effect on the tank!"

As to the sarcasm, rude analogies, etc. Good luck with your inhabitants, I sincerely hope you might think more before using something such as this that can and will break down with wear. Also remember, with the advent of the microscope, people realized there's things going on we cannot see with the naked eye. You say, "I've seen no ill effects." I say, "Exactly." I've provided more than enough information to make a solid claim. It's funny though especially because of the reaction you can see here. Quite a few people who have no scientific evidence to state otherwise, defending their actions. And they're not even bringing any reasons/speculation as to why it wouldn't happen.

I sure the heck wouldn't have thought my laundry was contributing man made substances into the streams, lakes, and oceans, but obviously it has, and it is. Would you have also argued that doing laundry had no effect? Well obviously it has, and it is.
Thank you scientific research. Because if you were to look, even myself, at the marine systems around the world, I would say I've been doing it for quite some time and there's no obvious effects.

But please keep these type of responses to a minimum. I apologize if I've come across in a negative manner, but it does make it very hard when people are so crude. I can only imagine some of the sarcasm, nastiness, and uneducated responses that have come across the desks of those looking to protect the environment by listing some corals on a list. And it surely doesn't have a good reflection upon the rest of us in the hobby.

I also understand now why one of my friends said not to come to this forum..

did you learn a lesson this time? i dunno how many times i've told you....

Back