Mangrove salt to fresh water adjustment

Moort82

Hi, I have a mangrove which has started to grow in my refugium but I'm wanting to move it to my freshwater planted tank as the one in there is twice the size already (they were bought at the same time). I know you have to be careful acclimation them to different salinity but does lowering the salinity have the same effect as going up? I'm thinking lowering should be easier but I've never done it.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to see no-one has replied. I wish I could help. Did you check the Old Helpful Posts? Have you googled it? When I did hypo salinity in my display, I dropped the salinity over the course of 7-10 days.

There was a guy in this forum that was growing several mangroves, but he went off to school, I think. You may find something useful in that thread. It was a 40 gallon breeder, and his avatar was saltwater sam. Good luck!

Thanks, it's been a while since I've logged in. I tried looking everywhere but only found stuff on moving to higher salinity which I know you do slowly. I still haven't got round to actually moving it but guessing it's far less stressful going down than up, so logically it should be able to cope with a quicker transition.my plan was to research how quickly salinity changes in the natural environment occurred and go from there, I just thought about something else and forgot which happens a lot to me.

There are several types of mangroves. Which type are you talking about? If it's a red mangrove it doesn't need acclimation either way. They are a coastal plant that experiences fluctuations in salinity several times a day.

Back