Many years away, back the reef!

Yeah, I have time to decide as well. I'll be curing the base rock in the tank for a while and I won't need the second powerhead until that's done, and I'm not getting the tank until August. I likely won't be looking for more flow until September.

Lol I understand, my last build was about 2years in design and 9mos in construction [emoji1787] my rocks cycled for about 4mos but the dt has been up for about two months now and I have some "harder to keep" type stock doing well so don't get discouraged and start rushing, one the extra prep time to do it perfectly the way you want is worth the wait.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

With the ply Top:

8zgNaXu.png

Just had a thought on the powerheads. Going to sell my MP10wES instead of pairing another Vortech with it, and getting a WAV starter kit for my Apex.

More flow, better control, should work out to the same price.

Got some time in the garage woodshop tonight to start on the stand for my 50g Reef. Had to square up my mitre gauge but got everything cut, and started the joinery with my dowel jig.

TZMAOoel.jpg

Yes my shop is that messy.

The great thing about a joinery jig is that you can dry fit the entire assembly without using any glue and it will hold together.

Top top frame of the stand dry fitted:

HkUzQ98l.jpg

The overall frame is 1" over the tank dimensions in both length and width just in case I decide to put a moulding around the tank bottom.

A good start but there is a lot more to do:

MKMqRF4l.jpg

Spent another couple of hours in the garage tonight.

Here is the stand base, the supports in the middle will hold a sunken plywood shelf for the sump:

ak9aU5Hl.jpg

The legs, like the rest of the carcass, are all aligned and joined with dowels:

eXIfuSFl.jpg

Here is the full stand dry fitted. Everything just needs to be dressed if it's not completely square, then glued.

Vze3fgNl.jpg

In total the assembly is held together with 144 precision drilled 1&1/2" x 3/8 " fluted hardwood dowels. You could comfortably park your car on it.

That's so much more solid than the mixing station stand made me think you were going to do [emoji1787]. Nice clean build, looks great so far!

That's so much more solid than the mixing station stand made me think you were going to do [emoji1787]. Nice clean build, looks great so far!

Lol the mixing station is hidden in my laundry room on a concrete floor six feet from my drain. This thing goes in my living room.

I get it, I run a basement sump. There's certain things I'm just not to concerned about. Can't wait to see that in your living room. Your build seems well thought out and precise, I like that.

If it was well thought out I wouldn't need to carry 5g buckets of Shearer upstairs for water changes :(

I figure 8-10g weekly changes should be sufficient. I hope so anyhow.

Ugg.. thats no fun. Can you run a line up from a pump and drain down to the basement some how? I spoiled myself planning awc in my build, Ive gotta say I love it.

Lol, so could I but since I've removed the task from my routine I wouldn't want to go back ;)
Highly recommend the automation if you can swing it.

Actually picked up the sheet stock today. Opted for MDO since it has good water resistance but the MDF facing takes paint well.

cl097etl.jpg

Many drillings later the final assembly was ready to dry fit.

eocgDY2l.jpg

Ignore the incorrect holes in the top left leg there. That was, uh, creative alternate drilling.

WpSJ8yMl.jpg

Finally got the frame all glued up and clamped.

Looking good that's a solid build :)

As far as the tomini.. a 50 might be pushing it but that's all I'll say for lack of knowledge. I have one in my 135tho.

Back