Marc's Cadlights 70g Artisan II Build [video]

MarcNem

Hi all - after a few years away from the dartfrog hobby, where I had over 60 vivs and my lonely 29g Biocube reef tank, I recently decided to get back in the game. (oh, and I also added planted tanks to the mix) One of my first steps in the "mancave 2.0" makeover, was getting my Biocube back up and running. After pulling out a 1" think layer of crud from the biocube, I was pleasantly surprised to find crystal clear water and half the tank covered in turtle grass macro algae (I had to look it up). I don't know where the turtle grass came from, but it must have acted as a natural filter to keep things balanced. The salinity was high, but given that it was already cycled, the tank only needed a little TLC and time before things were back on track.
As you can imagine, it was just a matter of time before felt the urge to add a bigger tank to the project. Given that I had several vivariums to re-build, I resisted temptation....but then I came across this baby! It's not necessarily one on the big boys, like many of you have, but it's more than double the size of what I have.
So, I welcome you to follow along the build of this 70 gallon Artisan II Reef, as I share the ups and downs of my new reef venture. It's been a while since I started a tank from scratch, but I am looking forward to the journey. The tank and all of the equipment (except for the sump and plumbing) is pre-owned and purchased on the secondary market. Hopefully, buying used stuff won't come back to bite me, but we'll see.

Current Equipment List:
Cad Lights 70 gallon Artisan II w black piano stand.
Eshopps R-200 refugium sump.
Bubble Magus filter roller (medium)
Reef Octopus 150int Elite DC protien skimmer
Reef Octopus VarioS 2 return pump
BRS media reactor
Kessil H150 refugium light
Kessil A360w (2) w controller
Maxspect Gyre 250 (2) w controller
Neptune Apex (2016)
And a few other doo-dads and thig-a-ma-gigs.

I plan to post weekly until the tank is reasonably stocked, then every 90 days, until it's one year anniversary. I am also doing a video journal on YT for the first time. I welcome your comments, opinions, and constructive criticism.

STAY TUNED & Stay Safe.

Video:https://youtu.be/-4mKTWVJfuY

20200627_202456_zpsucv32rux.jpg

20200627_202608_zpsqxjlrbsq.jpg

20200627_202533_zps9wsdwzgz.jpg

20200627_202705_zpscajwylwk.jpg

Here are the dimensions: (35.5" x 23.5" x 18") There is more info here.

This size is perfect for me...for now. I am really trying not to get sucked in to the "Keep Going Bigger" thing.

Back