Marine Aquarium Council

HumbleFish

Dr. Fish
Premium Member
Was just told MAC (Marine Aquarium Council) has been dead for a few years now. Anyone know if this is true? If so, I'm guessing being "MAC certified" is now worthless since they are no longer around to monitor collection methods.

I was just at Shedd aquarium in Chicago this past weekend and saw a short writeup on the council.

IMG_20140926_131051562_HDR.jpg

Their website works fine?

Edit: lol, guess I should figure out how to scale down images.

All indications point to them now being "inactive". For example, their website says, "Copyright © 2009" at the bottom. :worried:

But I haven't found anything "official" saying they are dead & gone.

Humble Fish wrote " If so, I'm guessing being "MAC certified" is now worthless since they are no longer around to monitor collection methods. "

There always were a lot of folks in the business (foreign exporters (suppliers), and importers) that were not "mac cert" that were at least as good if not better than the 'MC' labelled folk. It was a good housekeeping seal. It cost money. No exceptionalism in shipping or handling got it for you, only money. To a lot of us, it was always worthless. The organization tried to do lots of good things, and did some, but the selling
of 'MC' as being something better than everything else (not MC) was hyperbole ranging from a great dis-service to many hobbyists, to an insult to many exporters, importers and
distributors.

MAC was nothing more than a scam designed to get money from foundations like hewlett packard, et al into paul holthus's pockets. by that measure, and only by that measure, it was a huge success.

MAC was nothing more than a scam designed to get money from foundations like hewlett packard, et al into paul holthus's pockets. by that measure, and only by that measure, it was a huge success.

Oh wow, someone else who knows :)

It was more then that... but yeah, essentially a few got money, and a lot of grant money was spent. If it succeeded, and MAMTI was put in place, the trade would be very different today (not in a good way, controlled by one group).

http://ifcext.ifc.org/ifcext/spiweb...f02f72579d675562852576ba000e2632?opendocument

http://www.thegef.org/gef/sites/the... (MAMTI)/MAMTI Project Brief - Jan 9 2004.doc

I am MAC certified but I dont think their website is even operational anymore. I believe it to be defunct. However as others have pointed out no announcements have been made.

I know QM sell fish that are MAC certified and cost more. There aren't a lot available under the MAC cert

At this point, I would say "MAC" certified is completely worthless. There's nothing substantial to back it up any longer. Perhaps there never was. :confused:

We are also MAC certified and never labeled our fish "Mac Certified" like some others did. We just ran and still run our business under their core guidelines which we help develop.

Now the label really just means that the fish were handled start to finish with more accountability and care……but it doesn't mean they are any better than those not labeled.

We are also MAC certified and never labeled our fish "Mac Certified" like some others did. We just ran and still run our business under their core guidelines which we help develop.

Now the label really just means that the fish were handled start to finish with more accountability and care"¦"¦but it doesn't mean they are any better than those not labeled.

Sorry Eric, but the label means nothing without oversight. You cannot tell me they are more accountable... there is no accountability be default.

MAC=BBB. Both seemed like a good idea, but were pretty much made to enrich the operators. Of course people who bought memberships feel otherwise. Being a member is pretty much like paying one of the annual "Who`s Who" books for inclusion in the publication. It is unfortunate that the people who really lead the green movement are most influenced by the green of money.

Yeah the MAC certification means nothing now. Anyone using it is duping their customers. None of the collection stations in the indo-pacific use MAC guidelines. No one in the wholesale market in LA is abiding by it. Very few consumers even know what MAC was.

I was a proponent for getting a "MAC-like" system off the ground until it was obvious that neither the collection stations or wholesalers wanted to deal with the core MAC foundation. There was a lot of accusations about the MAC board members making off with the cash, which evidently was true.

Had a truly legitimate certification system gotten off the ground, the coral trade would be very different, but in a good way. Certified aquacultured frags would be the primary source of corals, whereas the wild trade would have converted to mariculture stations, rather than collection stations.

But as with all things wrong with this hobby, greed blinds all.

Back