marine magic dosing pump review

shifty51008

12-5 Chiefs record
well I have been looking for a set of dosing pumps for a while and came accross the Marine Magic Dosing Pump and decided to give it a try. the main concern I had was how long do they last and how well they keep constant measurement. I will test the dosing measurements hopefully once a week for a while just to ease my mind.

thiese pumps will dose .1ml/sec min or .2 ml/sec max

shipping was very fast for having it come from Hong Kong. it took about 1.5 weeks, so I can't complain about that at all.

packing was very good, no way this could get damaged unless ran over by a truck lol.

unit looks like it is very well built so far for me I like having the built in timers, all the other dosing pumps I have seen needed seperate timers which take up more outlet space and adds to the cost of the seperate dosing pumps.

if you have any questions, would like more photos, or video's let me know. hopefully this review will help others.

Contents of Box:
1 dual dosing pump with built in timers

about 8 feet of airline tubing (may need more depending on how far your jugs and controller are away from the tank.)

2 check valves

10 airline connectors

a spare dosing pump head

acrylic airline holder

1.5 feet of replacement pump tubing

AC power adapter

set of instructions

now for a few pics.
outside of the box. sorry there is no cool designes on them.
DSCF0095.jpg

Box opened and you can see how well it is packaged
DSCF0097.jpg

contents taken out
DSCF0100.jpg

a little bit better pic of the pumps after plugged in
DSCF0104-1.jpg

well after getting some house work done I finally got to mess around with it a little bit.

the instructions are very easy to follow. very well for comming from china lol.

I got it hooked up and was running a few tests to see how long it takes to fill a 5ml. test tube. I ran it 5 times each on 2 diff. speeds.

on the low speed it took 33 sec. to fill.

on the high speed it took 8 sec. to fill

every time it doesed excatly the same amount in the same time. so that is a + for now. I think when dosing the cal. and alk. I will be running the low speed though. after I figure out how much alk. and cal. my tank uses per day I will prob. fiddle with the dial a little bit to where it will be easiest to figure out how much time to set the timers at.

so far I am impressed with the unit. but then again it has only been a few hours and time will tell.

well this weekend while I was testing my tank to see how much I will have to dose I just kept running the same tests as before 5 times with each test and they are still the same.

33sec. on slow to fill 5ml.
8sec. on fast to fill 5ml.

also while messing around I like the feature that you can set each timer to run at 16 diff. times of the day each so you will be able to only dose part of the original dose at a certain time and other doses later on.

for the cost of it I really can't complain at all so far. it looks nice and so far is doing what I need it to do.

also I finally started dosing the other day so it is finally getting it's use. I set it up so it will dose when I get home from work so I can keep an eye on it for a while though.

I'm interested in gettin one. Can you give me some more info on where you ordered it from and possibly some more general info/ pics. Thanks in advance

For all those interested, I just saw a few online, which also included a 3 pump model for around 165... That's really not bad, although part of me wonders if 3x BRS pumps wouldn't be better, or spending a bit more to get the BM, or some of the more expensive pumps wouldn't be better in the long run. Was there a specific reason you made the choice on this pump ?

yes your correct these are the ones from ebay.just look under dosing pumps. I don't think they are listed under marine magic

the reasons I went with these are because:
1. I liked the fact that I didn't have to buy additional timers and have to use up any more outlets that I don't have.
2. cost. these are cheap compaired to the other dosers when you figure in about 180-200 for 2 BRS dosers then another 10-20 on timers depending on the type you get.
3. i am always looking to try new things out if I can afford them. you never know anymore how good stuff is no matter where it is built. heck half the stuff we buy anymore weather for fish or home is made in a diff. country. lol

so who knows, maybe these pumps will last a few years rather than a couple months like I hear alot of people talk about chia made stuff.

hi Shifty,

I have a few quick question regarding the timers:

1) What is the minimum unit of time you can set? (e.g. second/minute?)
2) Are you able to define the days of week you wish to dose? (e.g. alternate days, skip sundays, etc)

You mentioned it takes 33 seconds to dose 5ml - would it be possible to dose 1ml (e.g. 6 seconds running time).

The reason I'm asking is because I'm intending to use it in a planted freshwater tank and the dosing regimen and requirements are slightly different.

Thanks and appreciate your response!
Alvin.

you can only set it to run in minute's not seconds as far as I know. but their video and site says you can set it up in seconds
you can set it up to dose on any certain day of the week

I haven't worked with it long enough to be able to tell if you are only able to dose 1ml only. I guess I never needed it to dose that small amount but I will look over things and see what I can find.

your very welcome. you will be very happy with the pump if you order it. the only thing I can't really comment on yet is how long they last.

I sent the manufacture an e-mail asking him about dosing in seconds so I will post what I find out.

I just wanted to say also, as I was looking at the Aquatronica Dosing pump's it looks like they use the excat same pump head on their units as these but just use diffrent tubing. I can't say if that is true or not but from pics that I have seen they are very close. but their replacement pump heads cost 65.00+shiping where I can get replacement heads for this one for 19.00 shipped.

and I am by no means saying anything bad about Aquatronica's products I am sure they are good quality stuff. just more than I can afford.

Back