Marine pure ceramic biomedia

Matt brs just did a vidoe. I was hoping someone would compare it with seachem matrix. Seachem claims it can reduce nitrate. Matt do you still want to stop by?

Ha, talk about coincidence, he was referring to me. My Triton Test came back crazy high aluminum, and there was just no rhyme or reason to it. I finally mentioned the Marine Pure block and have since taken it out. I'll be continuing doing Triton tests for a while so we'll see what happens.

I was using the block because of my minimal rockscape in my tank. Whether it's needed is up for debate but if it's causing my high Aluminum, then out it stays.

Roger uses the Marine Pure media in the 8x4x4 block.
I bought one, but I haven't put it in yet.

I think Lee is running one as well. Bobbyv ran one for a while. I was going to look in getting one but it seems for the price matrix was a better fit so what I wanted to do.

I've also been running a 8x8 block and have 0 nitrates over the past 10 months. I just can't figure out how ceramic would be leeching aluminum.

Aluminum oxide is a type of ceramic material, its used heavily as an abrasive/polishing compounds, its also a cheaper ceramic material.

Ahh, thank you very much for the info. I had no idea Aluminum oxide is a type of ceramic. Hmm, if this is true, then what can excess aluminum do to our tanks?

I have been running one of these on the frag tank and trying to figure out why everything is ****ed off all the time. ... curious now if mine is leeching aluminum or if that's enough to pass off corals

Randy also doesn't like GFO for the same reasons .. .. .. I wouldn't be so quick to think it is the Marine Pure products .. .. .. My tank it doing great .. .. .. What about cheap ceramic frag plugs?

Is the triton test a home test? If so, I might send my water to a lab for an ICP test if I were you.

I have one in my 40b and no rock work at all. Heck i bought it used from bobby close to 2 years ago and it has been fantastic.
Is there a way to do a home based test then? If there was anyone with elevated Aluminum levels I would think I should have it since I run no activated carbon, GFO, ECT. Just WCs and good skimming with my 8x8x4 block.

Randy also doesn't like GFO for the same reasons .. .. .. I wouldn't be so quick to think it is the Marine Pure products .. .. .. My tank it doing great .. .. .. What about cheap ceramic frag plugs?

Where does he say that?

Christian, please keep us posted. Have you researched matrix?

I haven't but I may just leave the tank with the rock I have as is. I want my problematic parameters stable until I try/research any other similar products. In the end I'll probably just leave the tank as it is... Aside from the aluminum, I am not too worried for the other issues like Tin.

Back