MaxS G2 Dimmable Retrofit

aakour

First off, I haven't had luck finding anything in my searches about this, so forgive me if it's been asked.

I was given an old G2 that wasn't working anymore. So I fiddled with it, and found that the problem was an aging fan, and burnt out LEDs. So I refurbished it by replacing the fan with a 120mm computer fan, 1 of the drivers, and replacing almost all the 3W LEDs-so so far I have spent roughly $45 on a 160W LED in a custom spectrum.

My next projects for it are 1) new(any) optics, and 2) making it dimmable by PWM from an Arduino. Optics are easy enough. Here's my problem on the dimmable thing though: I can't seem to find dimmable drivers that power a string of 1) 18, 3W LEDs, 2) 14, 3W LEDs, and 3) 2, 30W LEDs-especially in a budget I can justify for it. So I'm fishing for ideas and resources to do this dimmable retrofit.

<s>A radion g2? Why not send it in for a refurb?</s>

Is there a factory repair place?

Last edited:
any luck?

how about using multiple drivers per channel? i recently got 3 of these units and am looking into dimming just the 3w channels. im fine with leaving the 15w on the simple timer.

i recently installed the Typhon controller on the leds for my biocube and it has instructions for how to hook up multiple drivers to each channel. from what i understand by reading your post, the drivers in the power supply are not dimmable?

MaxS G2 Dimmable Retrofit

X:
Yes, the drivers are not dimmable. I haven't got any definitive answers as to running multiple parallel drivers. Since the LEDs are pre wired on only 3 circuits, it doesn't seem too doable for parallel drivers like that. I have still not succeeded in finding PWM drivers at the power I need for it for less than $46+shipping each. That makes $150 to make my fixture dimmable/controllable. When I was able to pick up a Radion for $300.

Mark:
I don't know the pin out, but what I know is it's 4 channels +, -(60W, 18x3W, 14x3W, and 4x1W) and the fan +, -. It wouldn't be hard to find which is which with a multimeter

Last edited:
Back