Maxspect Gyre 200 Series -- First Impressions

I also picked up a fx230 for 54gal display as my first power head. I'm loving it so far but I don't have any fish or corals yet so I just have it set to random with a max of 70% thanks got the feeding time adjustment tip. I'm also hoping to set up an automated schedule soonish.

Been considering one or two 250's for my 48x24x16. Do you think I'd be better off with the 250's or 230's? I've always been a vortech guy :)

I just added the XF230 and new controller to my tank last night. I placed it horizontally on the opposite side of the 48" (90 gal) tank from my original XF130. Theoretically, the XF130 creates enough flow for a 90 gallon tank, but I was not satisfied that it was eliminating dead spots. When I cranked up the controller, it went into (default) constant flow mode at 50% power... Wow! The improvement in overall flow was immediately noticeable. I now have it set in OGC mode and am very pleased with the way it's performing. I agree with Phreebyrd that the manuals are of little value. The CoralVue videos are helpful, but even they don't cover everything, e.g. how to change the feed mode time... thanks for that, too!

Been considering one or two 250's for my 48x24x16. Do you think I'd be better off with the 250's or 230's? I've always been a vortech guy :)

Check Posts #11 & 12 in this thread. I'm not sure I have an answer for you, but there may be pluses to the 230 over the 250. Probably depends quite a bit on what corals you have... do you want good circulation throughout the whole tank with the best possible control (230's), or do you need high velocity flow (250)? In hindsight, In my 4' mixed tank, I might have been better off with a pair of 230's instead of a single 250. But I'm not complaining. The single 250 is working out well.

A little bit of an update here...

It was time for me to do the first disassembly and cleaning on my Gyre last week. The manual says to follow the procedure in the manual. Of course, there is no procedure in the manual. So I checked CoralVue's videos before I got started. CoralVue's videos are good, but they can be confusing since there are a few different iterations of the Gyres, and all the parts on your pump may not be the same as are shown in the videos... and in some cases the procedures required differ slightly. But overall, the videos are helpful.

As it turned out, my motor assembly could not be disassembled. After few emails with Carlos at Coralvue, it was determined that my motor was either assembled incorrectly by Maxspect using the wrong parts, or Maxspect made a change to the motor assembly and didn't tell anybody. Beyond that, CoralVue was no help at all. Since it can't be disassembled for cleaning, when my motor eventually gets limed up, I'll have to cough up $70+ for a new one. I am not pleased about that at all... Live and learn.

A little bit of an update here...

It was time for me to do the first disassembly and cleaning on my Gyre last week. The manual says to follow the procedure in the manual. Of course, there is no procedure in the manual. So I checked CoralVue's videos before I got started. CoralVue's videos are good, but they can be confusing since there are a few different iterations of the Gyres, and all the parts on your pump may not be the same as are shown in the videos... and in some cases the procedures required differ slightly. But overall, the videos are helpful.

As it turned out, my motor assembly could not be disassembled. After few emails with Carlos at Coralvue, it was determined that my motor was either assembled incorrectly by Maxspect using the wrong parts, or Maxspect made a change to the motor assembly and didn't tell anybody. Beyond that, CoralVue was no help at all. Since it can't be disassembled for cleaning, when my motor eventually gets limed up, I'll have to cough up $70+ for a new one. I am not pleased about that at all... Live and learn.

They just pull apart for cleaning. I usually just put one end in a container filled with vinegar, brush everything off, repeat for the other end and then pull apart to make sure everything has been thoroughly cleaned.

They just pull apart for cleaning.

I know they're supposed to just pull apart for cleaning. The whole point of my post was that mine could not be disassembled. If you need me to translate that for you, I'll do my best. I thought I was pretty clear about it.

I know they're supposed to just pull apart for cleaning. The whole point of my post was that mine could not be disassembled. If you need me to translate that for you, I'll do my best. I thought I was pretty clear about it.

I think he meant you did not use enough force to pull them apart? I would be afraid to break it myself.

Here is the end that is supposed to be removable on my motor. It is not removable (verified by Carlos @ CoralVue).

The opposite end looks like it's supposed to look (also not removable).

Attachments

• 20170903_125700_ss.jpg
    20170903_125700_ss.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 2
PhreeBYrd, thanks for the detailed writeup. Threads like these are so helpful when planning a new build. Sorry to hear about getting the solidified pump though--I'm looking at the Icecap version and wonder if they've also gone through product iterations like you found out from Maxspect...

After a few days of running my XF230 and XF130 with the new controller in OGC mode, I woke up yesterday to find a dead controller! No blinking lights, no nothing! I tried all kinds of troubleshooting steps, but nothing worked. The only light was the green one on the power supply and it would flash whenever I connected it to the controller... Solid green when I disconnected it from the controller. CoralVue tech support suggested that the power supply may be bad. We ended up deciding to try my old power supply with the new controller - - same problem / same flashing green light. The good news is they are shipping me a replacement controller and I still have my old Ice Cap Apex interface controller, so I have it running one pump until the new controller arrives. Is anything ever easy in the hobby??? :headwally:

Thanks for all feedback. I was looking to order one of the newer Coralvue units...but this all sounds disappointing. :(

Let us know if you hear back from Coralvue. One should be able to fully clean the pump.

Will do. I'm waiting for a reply now.

I recall a very recent Youtube video whilst researching gyres...that showed how to take the whole thing apart. I recall the guy used pliers to pull some of the bits out. I'll try and find the link and post here later.

Two of the main issues reported with these pumps are/were:

1. Some of the parts like the bushings etc were not robust enough
2. They need periodic cleaning to maintain peak flow

With Coralvue being involved, I am confident the 1st set of issues has been dealt with.

But if the cleaning aspect is now an issue...then I wont be investing in this pump. However, lets wait and see the reply from Coralvue. Thanks for keeping the thread updated.

I recall a very recent Youtube video whilst researching gyres...that showed how to take the whole thing apart. I recall the guy used pliers to pull some of the bits out. I'll try and find the link and post here later.

Two of the main issues reported with these pumps are/were:

1. Some of the parts like the bushings etc were not robust enough
2. They need periodic cleaning to maintain peak flow

With Coralvue being involved, I am confident the 1st set of issues has been dealt with.

But if the cleaning aspect is now an issue...then I wont be investing in this pump. However, lets wait and see the reply from Coralvue. Thanks for keeping the thread updated.

Totally agree with you Sahin... I am also looking to upgrade my Jebaos RW-15 but what I have read about the dissemble, cleaning and noise haven't make me decide between XF-250 and MP-40. Actually I clean the RW-15 monthly and haven't have issue since 1 1/2 year but the dissemble are a piece of cake.

I've used the XF-230 for quite a while now. I will also chime in with my experience on a couple issues that have been talked about. For one, the noise issue. When I was running them on my 120 gallon I was ramping them up from 10% --- 70%. They were not silent, the jebao's I was using before were much quieter, silent I would say. Although, I had them ramping from 30% ---- 100%. Not sure if that made a difference. That being said, I have since gone to a smaller 65 gallon tank and run the XF-230's from 10% --- 50% and the difference is night and day. I would now say they are silent. I think it's due to a couple of things. Break in period is over and lower percentage. As of right now, I am very happy with these pumps.
The second problem I hear about is the cleaning issue. On this issue, I have to agree. It's more of a PITA with these pumps then others I have had. I don't have any problem taking it apart for cleaning, but it just seems the parts are harder to clean then other pump parts. I think it's just the way the pump is engineered. Also, I can confirm that without periodic cleaning the flow will be diminished substantially. At least more than any other pump I've used.
So for now, I will stick with them. When clean and running properly, the flow is like not other and that I like.

Last edited:
I agree, Todd. My XF-230 has been pretty much silent, running from 10-60%, until it was time for a cleaning (about 3 months after the initial setup). Then I could hear it at the higher flow rates, but it still wasn't noisy. After cleaning (except for the rotor, of course), it was as silent as it was originally. Flow most definitely diminishes when it's time for cleaning.

Cleaning is definitely more of a chore than with any other pumps I've used, and there is a learning curve. It's not difficult, there are just a lot of parts to keep track of.

Update

Update

Just received an email from Carlos at CoralVue. They are sending me a replacement motor assembly under warranty (no charge). Hopefully this replacement can be disassembled.

I did need to ask CoralVue for the replacement -- they apparently weren't about to just offer one up. But their response was quick and completely acceptable.

I've used the XF-230 for quite a while now. I will also chime in with my experience on a couple issues that have been talked about. For one, the noise issue. When I was running them on my 120 gallon I was ramping them up from 10% --- 70%. They were not silent, the jebao's I was using before were much quieter, silent I would say. Although, I had them ramping from 30% ---- 100%. Not sure if that made a difference. That being said, I have since gone to a smaller 65 gallon tank and run the XF-230's from 10% --- 50% and the difference is night and day. I would now say they are silent. I think it's due to a couple of things. Break in period is over and lower percentage. As of right now, I am very happy with these pumps.
The second problem I hear about is the cleaning issue. On this issue, I have to agree. It's more of a PITA with these pumps then others I have had. I don't have any problem taking it apart for cleaning, but it just seems the parts are harder to clean then other pump parts. I think it's just the way the pump is engineered. Also, I can confirm that without periodic cleaning the flow will be diminished substantially. At least more than any other pump I've used.
So for now, I will stick with them. When clean and running properly, the flow is like not other and that I like.

I agree, Todd. My XF-230 has been pretty much silent, running from 10-60%, until it was time for a cleaning (about 3 months after the initial setup). Then I could hear it at the higher flow rates, but it still wasn't noisy. After cleaning (except for the rotor, of course), it was as silent as it was originally. Flow most definitely diminishes when it's time for cleaning.

Cleaning is definitely more of a chore than with any other pumps I've used, and there is a learning curve. It's not difficult, there are just a lot of parts to keep track of.

Thanks to both... It seems that I can deal with it based on your experience.

Will give it a try.

Back