Maxspect Razor Issues 120W/160W 16000K-Warning to Owner

nclgedxxv@yahoo

Hello Fellow Reefers,

I just need to share my issues with the 3 Maxspect Razor that I have.
2 x 160W 16000K
1 X 120w 16000K
Purchase : less than 2 years ago Total Investment: ~$1.5K

Issues started to show,
1. Last Month, Channel B started not working for 1 out 2 160W Razor,I'm assuming LED is already due replacement (but less than 2 years???),purchased 3 LED PAD 15K in coralvue website and not knowing theres a service repair for 120$(my fault,didn't do much research).All are ok after replacement but have seen issues with 1 of the 90Deg Lens have melted (just for 1 LED ).Please see attached picture.
Question is,is the ned LED PAD Design not compatible with the 90 Deg?

2. My 2nd unit 160W failed also just this weekend with same symptoms,channel b not working;now with the 1st experience that I had repairing my 1st unit.I did open and found that there's a manufacturing defect with 1 missing connector fan,meaning 1 fan is connector ,the other 1 is not.Please see attached pictures.
Causing Overheat and LED to burnt?

3. 120W 16000K,totally broke down with a burnt component on driver/power supply pcb totally just shutdown.

I created a ticket at coralvue and got a response of repair cost $120 each unit + $20 shipping cost,on the website its saying return shipment should be included.
I get it my units are out of warranty,but spending/invensting ~$1.5k then less than 2 years all need repair.
Also,been seeing all field failure for maxzpect razor are mostly related channel b and all need new LED PAD,take note there's a new design of the LED PAD from 16000k to 15000k 180W with 120 Deg Lens,does this mean a design related field failure with the existing LED PAD in the field?
Overall its still cheaper to ship and let them repair rather than buying spare and doing a DIY.But theres a manufacturing defect,if a normal wear and tear its fair enough.
Lucky for me,have not seen the coil burning and melting causing plastic to melt and deformed.
I love this led light but with these issues less than 2 years.Will go Kessil AP700 then.
Please give me your thoughts!

Attachments

• 20181001 Lens Melted.pdf
    23.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20181001 NoFanConnector.pdf
    46 KB · Views: 1
GOT 2 120W AND 1 160W FOR MY TANK. 160 has been running strong for 5 years+ with no issue. I updated the 90deg to 120deg only for wider coverage. the 120 have been bought used, so not sure about how long they been running, but had them for 2 years. I changed the pads on on of them for 15k (more purple in appearance) cause they burnt. I have a fan blowing on them (fixtures AND power supplies) to circulate hot air, and never run them at 100% for a long period of time. on my latest settings, I think I dont go over 85%. Too much heat never goes well with electronics. I think they sacrificed a bit of efficiency for a sleek look, but with some care, they are solid. As for the move from 16k to 15k, I could not tell if its about having too many issue with 16k, less availability of 16k leds, uselessness of 16k vs 15k, or a mix of the 3. But here definitely seems to be less complains with 15k pads.

Bought a 10k 160 Watt back in 2012 all good until 2014 driver board fails. Replaced and installed it myself for $50 good up to 2016 then the blue channels fail. Bought 2 15k upgrade pads working good ever since. What I have done differently from others is buy a 12" fan which blows across the unit even have the original 90 degree lenses in good shape. The power supply has two big heatsinks I set on top and a small computer fan at the end blows across the heatsinks. If I hadn't used fans I'm certain I be in the same boat as you. Heat kills electronics I don't care what they say at coralvu.

Coralvue Maxspect Repair Service

Coralvue Maxspect Repair Service

Thanks Jyetman & gargoylenest for your inputs,I am in email communication with Chris Conti for a Maxspect Repair Service.
They will charged me 120$ + $20 shipping=$140 for 2 Units Razor.

I'm just clarrying with him repair coverage of $140.He indicated that:
->Replacing all LED PAD + Upgrade 120 Deg Lens

But unsure if they will charge additional if Driver Board and Control Board needs replacement.Already asked him before shipping the units.

I'm using the Preset Program 2 for all my units,may need to tweak my setting then.And definitely will install a mini fan to help cool down the fixture.

this is not new, maxspect has had three newer lights since the release of there original razors. The ethreal and the maxspect rsx and recurve. the original def had some cooling issues if running over 70% on the channels. we have replaced over a hundred pads/drivers at our shop.

Back