May 2007 nTOTM contest

nanokiper

Hello fellow hobbyist around the world. This will be my first time to moderate a tank contest and international at that. I hope we will have lots of fun and sharing. I have decided to include tank equipments to have better perspective on how it operates and functions.

Here are the simple rules of the contest:

1.This month, we are going to have entries from 25 gallons - 50 gallons, with the display being at least 20 gallons. This means you cannot enter a 15 gallon tank with a 15 gallon sump, but you can enter a 20 gallon with a 5 gallon sump.
2.Participants are required to submit or post a list of their Nano tank specification:
- Size
- Equipments which would include lightings, skimmers, etc.
- Live stocks
- Filtration method
- Additives and marine salt used
- Feeding regime
3.Participants are required to submit or post at least two photos of the tank and live stocks.
4.Contest is designed to share your learning experience with other nano keepers to be. Thus there is no limit on spending cap and posting all updates and writes up.
5.All Participants’ photos submitted must be from your own Tank and shots should be taken not more three months.
6.People outside the United States are encouraged to join.
7.The top three nano tanks would be pre-selected before contest closing date. The winner would be decided by Reef Central through votation.
8.Contest starts from May 7, 2007 and closes on May 31, 2007

Good luck. :) :)

The tank size requirements are exactly the same as April's NTOTM, I have requested nanokiper to change this to be more inclusive. In the end, it is ultimately up to him!
but yes, according to those rules it rules out 24 gallons.

ok just wondering because i do have a fuge on my tank but im not sure if it holds an entire gallon so i didnt know if i would qualify.

Its an AC50 mod into a fuge so i didnt know

Damn, that suck, that mean i can't entire my 24gal, i guess i have to add a sump to that to quailty.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9900640#post9900640 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ezcompany
The tank size requirements are exactly the same as April's NTOTM, I have requested nanokiper to change this to be more inclusive. In the end, it is ultimately up to him!
but yes, according to those rules it rules out 24 gallons.

My apology, I was not able to ammend the guidelines yesterday. Got a lot of homeworks to do.

Anyways, please find below revised guidelines. I decided to change minimum display tank size from 20 to 15 galllon.

1.This month, we are going to have entries from "20" gallons - 50 gallons, with the display being at least 15 gallons. This means you cannot enter a 10 gallon display tank with a 15 gallon sump, but you can enter a 15 gallon with a 5 gallon sump.
2.Participants are required to submit or post a list of their Nano tank specification:
- Size
- Equipments which would include lightings, skimmers, etc.
- Live stocks
- Filtration method
- Additives and marine salt used
- Feeding regime
3.Participants are required to submit or post at least two photos of the tank and live stocks.
4.Contest is designed to share your learning experience with other nano keepers to be. Thus there is no limit on spending cap and posting all updates and writes up.
5.All Participants’ photos submitted must be from your own Tank and shots should be taken not more three months.
6.People outside the United States are encouraged to join.
7.The top three nano tanks would be pre-selected before contest closing date. The winner would be decided by Reef Central through votation.
8.Contest starts from May 7, 2007 and closes on May 31, 2007

Cheers!

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9903588#post9903588 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by anguswu
When to start vote?

Voting will start after selection of the top three entries. It has to be decided later, hopefully middle of this month to give adequate time for voting.

Last edited:
ok well im going to give this another try!

Here is my 24g AP

- Size: 24g Aquapod
- Equipments: 150w 14k HQI, DIY auto topoff, Aquaclear 50 refugium, MJ 1200 return pump, hydor rotating water deflector.
- Live stocks: Pair of ONYX clownfish, 1 target mandarin goby, 1 pink spotted watchman goby, skunk cleaner shirmp, standard clean up crew!
- Filtration method: Stock but i added a DIY refugium I am completely SKIMMERLESS
- Additives and marine salt used: Seachem Reef Salt, and i add TM Bio-calcium (when needed) along with Marine C (every day). I also add very small amounts of idoine to help with molting.
- Feeding regime: I feed the fish once a day, with either pellets, mysis, brine or other meaty foods! I feed the corals mysis and brine and i also treat the tank with phyto and a special coral food!

List of Corals:
LPS:
Green Tipped Hammer
Green and Pink Frogspawn
Green Tipped Torch
Neon Green Candy Cane
Pastel Green Candy Cane
Green Bubble
Red Lobo Brain
Orange Rainbow Acan
Acanastrea Lord
Rainbow Acan Echinata
Red white and blue Chalice
Blue and Purple Chalice

SPS:
Pink Montipora
Green Montipora
Purple Montipora
Idaho Grape Montipora
Orange Montipora
Orange Montipora Digitata
Superman Montipora
Rainbow Montipora
Pagoda Cup Coral
Green Slimer Acro
Green/Blue tipped Stag Acro
Blue Miliapora with purple
Pink/Green/Purple Birdsnest
Green Pocillopora
Rose Miliapora

Softies:
Green Polyp Leather (2)
Bam Bam Zoas
Orange Rimmed Zoas
Green Rimmed Zoas
2 Green Flordia Ricordia
2 Rainbow Ricordia
Blue Mushrooms

Clams:
Green Ultra Crocea
Blue/white/gold ultra Crocea

IMG_0017-1.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0013-1.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

OK I'm new on the forum but figured I'd post as well.

- Size: 29 gal Ocianic BioCube
- Equipment: Stock silter and CFL with LED moonlighting
- Live stock: See list below
- Filtration method: both the stock filtration pads and LR rubble instead of Bioballs
- Additives and marine salt used - Treatments include Tech CB part A&B and Lougal's Solution, Instant Ocean is used for water changes
- Feeding regime: 1 cude of rotifers and a few slivers of cyclops once a week

Soft corals/mushrooms (general names only sorry):
Blue Zenia
Gold Zenia
Sand polyps
torch
silver hammer
green and pink trumpets
closed brain
floresent green trumpet
the start of green star polyp colony
grape cluster
pale yellow leather
red/purple mushroom
Florida recordia
green recordia
Yellow polyps at bottom (think these are a sub group of zoas, still doing research)
And a bunch of zoas (orange, bright orange, blues, blue-greens)

Macro Algae and Plants:
2 brislebrushes
several small macro algae stalks kept under tight control

Invertebrets:
4 Blue legged hermit crabs
2 Red legged hermit crabs
3 Nassarius snails
2 Pepermint Shrimp
at least 1 brittle starfish (came in on live rock)

No fish as of right now...

Here are some pics...will add some more later...

SWtank003.jpg
SWtank002.jpg
SWtank004.jpg

Guys and girls post your entries!

We now have two entries:
1. clowninaround74
2. lilith

Hurry!!! We have more slots .

A few more days in deciding the top winners.

24 gallon nanocube
108W Nanotuners upgraded hood

Fish:
Yellow Watchman Goby
Cherub Angel
Blue Neon Goby
Blue Bar Pseudochromis
Onyx Clown
Blue Assesor
Red Firefish

Corals:

Duncans
Zoa's & Palys
Green Nepthia
Torch
Hammer
Frogspawn
Yuma (Pink & Orange)
Candycane (Green, Neon green & Blue)
Blasto Welsi
Blasto Merletti
Orange Gorg
Purple Star Polyps

Filtration:
Chemi-pure
Purigen
Filter Floss
Phosban as needed

Reef Crystals salt, 5 gallon waterchanges weekly.

I feed a variety, mysis, brine, Formula One, VHP, Rods Food.

FTS

FTS-NTOTM.jpg

Side View

SideView-NTOTM.jpg

Duncan

Duncan.jpg

We need some more entries

That can't be for entering though. Pretty soon there will have to be a top 3 selected and the voting on those will take a couple weeks. I would think there is only a couple days left to enter.......

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9935064#post9935064 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by colinadam
That can't be for entering though. Pretty soon there will have to be a top 3 selected and the voting on those will take a couple weeks. I would think there is only a couple days left to enter.......

see i thought the same thing. I would hope they allow a good amount of time for the voting to happen!!! But anyways GET SOME MORE TANKS ON HERE!!!! LOL :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9926410#post9926410 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kaserpick
Nanokiper, what's the deadline for entering?

Last date for entering is May 21, 2007. We have less than a week to go. Join and have fun :)

Last edited:
Back