May's nTOTM Thread- sjfishguy's SPS dominated 30 cube

Thanks all! If you do try the skimmer in the AC thing, make sure to put a support under the skimmer so the weight isnt on the AC, the AC will crack. I have a support drilled into my stand in the back that comes up to support the skimmer.

Amazing nano! Any pictures when you first started out and of the rock work? Just curious how you arranged everything in such a tight space.

The live rock with most of the corals growing on it (besides the acros) was in my 10g. I looked through pics of the 10g, but the coral is just as tight so you can't really see anything, sorry.

Here is a pic of the 10g before I moved the rock and SPS corals into the 30g. You can see the orientation of the SPS corals on the rocks are the same but the rocks are facing a slightly different direction. You can also see some good growth in certain corals, esp that birdsnest! This picture was from Aug 2007.

10greefJuly2007.jpg

Do your coral banded and cleaner shrimps ever go at it? I was thinking about adding a Cleaner to my tank but I know the CBS is aggressive.
Thanks

yeah, he hasnt bothered that one for some reason but has killed others I have tried to put in there, killed all my peps and crabs too. I wouldnt do it. If I had to do it again I would not add a CBS

Ah-Maze-Ing!!!!!!!!! Very beautiful and thought inspiring. Being someone who is getting ready to set up a nano, I am constantly looking at everyone else's tanks for ideas, and yours have definately given me a couple. Congrats!!!

How do you like the Coralife Skimmer, would you recommend it? Also, how do you deal with evaporation, cooling, and calcium/alkalinity?

Glass cover- I set up this tank in November and have had it covered the entire time. I have not had any issues with temp during that time and it cuts down on the amount of evaporation. It is the standard glass top that comes with an Oceanic 30 cube. I know a lot of people don't like to cover their tanks, but many of these same tanks have salt spray on their bulbs, cutting down on the light just as much. To me, it is much easier to clean a top glass than to clean bulbs. It also helps from fish jumping out.

Evaporation- I evap about 2 gals a week, again much less than I would if the tank was not covered.

Cooling- Up until now I have not needed a chiller, again because I set this setup up in Nov. It is going to need a chiller, I know that. I have an iceprobe chiller that I will try to cool it with once it the temp starts creaping up. If that isn't powerful enough, I have a 1/15th hp Current chiller ready to utilize.

Calcium, Alkalinity, Mg- I use Randy's homemade two part supplements. I add 35mLs a day. I add all my top off and supplements manually, I have heard horror stories of tanks being fried by malfunctioning supplement pumps.

Coralife Super Skimmer- I really like this skimmer for small tanks. The best skimmer you can buy hands down for under $100. You can get better skimmers but you are going to spend a couple hundred dollars. I especially like it in the Aquaclear: fits perfectly and the water line stays constant which eliminates overflow problems a lot of people seem to have with the CSS.

I love answering any questions, I am glad I can help!

Thanks for the responses, again you have an awesome, simple setup on your hands. One more question though, do you have the maxi-jet on a timer to or wavemaker of any kind or does it just run all the time.

More pics please!!!

Hi sjfishguy, congratulations on the honour. You've done a great job - it's a gorgeous healthy looking tank.

I'm surprised that your water changes are limited to 4 gallons every six weeks. Have you experimented with doing smaller (or larger) more frequent changes? How did you settle on your current approach?

Hey got a question for you!

Do you use any sort of phosphate removal media?? Phosban or anything?

Back