Media reactor help

firemountain

Just ordered my Spectrapure Dual media reactor from Aquacave. What is the best/recommended media brands of Carbon and GFO to use in a mixed reef setup?

I currently have some Chemipure Elite on hand...can I use this for starters in the Spectrapure?

In addition...I also have an unused Fluval 306 that I was considering on using just as a media reactor. What media types would you recommend I run in the Fluval?? Or am I better off using the Chemipure in the Fluval and using the Spectrapure for other media?

Just trying to get the best use of my equipment, so I am looking for advice on what would be the best setup.

FYI.....this is a new 65g setup and my first reef.....so any and all help would be truly appreciated!!

Dom

GPSReef

I don't have experience running chemipure in a reactor I don't think you'd want to use it in one though. I'm not sure about the fluval being used as a media reactor hopefully someone with more experience chimes in but I'd think there would be something you could do with it.
As far as carbon if you want the best go for Brs rox I switched to it from the GAC my lfs sold and have seen a noticeable difference in water quality.
I have prefered rowaphos for phosphate removal but have been researching biopellets lately and will likely make the switch at least to try it out
I run both carbon and rowa in two phosban reactors

firemountain

Thanks for your input. The manager at my lps told me he rarely runs carbon in his reef. As well as only running RO water...not even RODI. He recommended that I could put the Chemipure right on top of the sponge just after the sock if I wanted to.

Anyway, I have read that a lot of guys run the rox and rowaphos, so I guess that I will be giving them a try. Just waiting for my BRS Reefsaver rock to come I'm...then I can start to get things off the found.

Dom