Melanurus Wrasse Really Reef-Safe?

Have no issue with my melanurus but only had him I think about two months now. Have SPS/LPS/Zoas and both a cleaner shrimp & pistol shrimp and he's great. Most annoying thing he does is always steal a huge chunk of nori when I feed it even though he's a carnivore.

Mine has not once touched any of my SPS, zoas, acans, chalice, blasto, leather, frogspawn or hammer corals. The only thing it bothered was my other wrasse when my white lights went out.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Mine is a model citizen. Seems to love nori even more than the tangs. Fun to watch hunt pods and crustaceans...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My melarunus is fine with corals, but will take out any shrimp or mini brittles. Ok with the larger brittle star though.

Mine doesn't bother corals but no shrimp allowed

My melarunus is fine with corals, but will take out any shrimp or mini brittles. Ok with the larger brittle star though.

I had 1 that ate my clam and all my shrimp, it also picked at every zoanthid in the tank.

Dang this took a turn for bad.. lol I have peppermint shrimp as I have aiptasia.. I want to be able to have them AS WELL AS cleaner shrimp. Having all this live is what entertains me in this new hobby of mine. So one colorful fish does not weigh out having no shrimp.. not going to risk it for 80 bucks..

Any COLORFUL TRUE REEF SAFE wrasses out there?

Ok just saw the lineatus on live aquaria... wow the colors wow the price! lol :(
also the exquisite looked pretty good.

Do these fish really jump a lot? How high? My water level is down some as I have a drilled 120g that I drilled so the water level sits lower do to that. Its about 2-3 inches down from the top or about 1-1.5 inches down from the black trim.

Last edited:
Yes they are jumpers, I just lost my Chrysus and I had a screen top but it did have holes in the back portion. He was also a model citizen but I also do not have any shrimp in my tank.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Finally, a post I can add value to. My melanurus has been in my tank for two months and hes been an angel, he hasn't picked at any corals, or inverts. Having said that I wouldn't risk putting a shrimp in my tank. Also in the 2 months ive had him, hes almost doubled in size, super fat and healthy, but like said above ^ every fish is different. Also I would put a screen top, again I wouldn't risk my fish's life try this

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/diy-aquarium-screen-top-kits-for-rimmed-tanks-1-4-netting.html

My Vrolik's (very closely related) has never bothered shrimp, snails or hermits. My feather dusters did disappear, however.

Mine has been great, hasn't touched my shrimp or any other livestock in the tank including coral. I agree mine loves nori as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Mine has been great, hasn't touched my shrimp or any other livestock in the tank including coral. I agree mine loves nori as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

well my lfs has one decent size too.. might role the dice but still not convinced lol thank all for the replies keep the comments coming!

Got one that decimated my red bugs in no time. He is an adult male and has beautiful color.
He has tilted a few of my corals on the sand bed either searching for bugs or looking for a soft spot to call it a night.Other than that he makes a nice addition to my tank.

I've got a 4 1/2" super male in my 75 DT. He's kinda like a a pet bird dog. He doesn't bother anything on purpose. He just kinda unintentionally gets in trouble... knocking over small rocks & unsecured corals, swimming too fast & close for comfort to smaller, less active fish, and stealing food from LPS corals.

That said, I'd never get rid of him.

Back