Memphis zoo help

We have spoken to the Zoo about it. Donations cannot go to a specific area. They go where the zoo feels they are needed. Volunteering is the same way...if you volunteer, you will be used in the area they feel help is needed. You cannot ask to volunteer in a specific area. I can get you guys the name of the person you need to talk to, but I don't think it will go very far.

If that is true then that is a disgrace and we should go to someone who could make them do it if they do not want to themselves. The Fish are in danger of dying and Im sure they do a lot. There has to be something that can be done. The Zoo cant just take crappy care of the fish and refuse to let us help them if we want to. Anyone that saw pictures of the setup or went by there with any authority and knowledge at all of fish would immediately shut that down. There are a couple tanks that look somewhat ok but the reef and a couple others are horrible.

well like i said get the media involved and people seem to look closer at what someone is saying.
as to if if you just try to do something yourself then they look at you as who are you and who cares.

Look at the very last statement of the volunteer form:
The Memphis Zoological Society cannot guarantee volunteer placement. The Zoo will,
however, make every effort to match volunteer applicants to volunteer opportunities
based on the needs of the Zoo and the interests and abilities of the volunteer.

The Zoo cant just take crappy care of the fish and refuse to let us help them if we want to.

You know what sucks - they can do just that.

If you think the zoo is bad, you should see water conditions in people's tanks. I get water tests from people on a daily basis with nitrates of over 250 ppm, 7.2 pH, etc.

Im sure local people have bad tanks Richard but this is the Zoo. They cant do just that if we do something about it.

Anyone with any knowledge of this hobby could see that tank as I said before is horrible. We just have to get the right person with some pull to do so. Thats why I liked the Andy Wise thing. That guy has a fish tank and he wouldnt like that too much IMO.

I wrote to the guy we will see if he says anything I guess. I know what your saying Richard is that they dont have to do anything if they dont want I guess but I just figure if we get enough of the right* attention on the subject something may happen..

we should also contact the AAZK " zoo keepers association'' they may know how to get something acomplished, maybe even one of the larger aquirums in the state like the Ripleys Aquirum of the smokiey's

i started a post in the reef discussion forum on this subject also to get more ideas, one person from memphis is trying to get in touch with thier cousin who works at the zoo to see who we astualy need to talk to get something done

I live halfway across the country. I sent them an email. If you can get enough people from RC to start deluging them with emails I bet it will get their attention.

correct me if wrong--- but isn't the name of the place called---memphis zoo & aquarium?----but the aquarium is the area that receives no money

i bet it does they just dumped it into the very large outdoor chilled saltwater polar bear and sea lion display, with a small percentage of the money spent on that they could have made some decent improvments to the aquarium

I recently visited the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta. I was very disappointed with the general fish health there also. Many of the tangs suffered from HLLE, there were a few fish with popeye, and let's not forget about the Whale Sharks that died.

Rainforest Cafe in Nashville - unhealthy fish in every tank.

Ripley's Aquarium in Gatlinburg - unhealthy fish in every tank.

Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga - unhealthy fish in every tank.

The average visitor at all these public aquariums probably never noticed the problems.
These places have marine biologists on staff. Do they not notice or are the funds just not there to correct the issues?
I don't know.
I am sure the Memphis Zoo who hasn't updated the aquarium in 30 years has their reasons why there have been no updates also.
I wish they would let a group come in and make a difference, but there is so much red tape and bureaucracy to deal with when it comes to these types of places that I do not see anything positive happening.

Like I said before - "Prove Me Wrong!"

It seems that what everyone is trying to do. All these guys have to do is a waterchange. Ive been to plenty zoos with fine aquariums. Its a disgrace.

Back