Memphis zoo help

they also need to feed the fish, there is a spot on the web site where we can donate seaweed and other dryed foods and other products

ENRICHMENT GIVING TREE
Looking for a way to give some holiday cheer to the animals at the Memphis Zoo? Stop by the Zoo's lobby, and check out the Enrichment Giving Tree. Visitors and employees can give specific items or cash gifts for Memphis Zoo animals enrichment items. Stop by during Zoo Lights and find out what the best present would be for a pregnant elephant or a playful polar bear.

Many of the items can also be purchased from online vendors and can be sent directly to the zoo (Memphis Zoo, Attn: AAZK Enrichment Tree, 2000 Prentiss Place, Memphis, TN 38112).

Questions? Call (901) 276-9453 ext. 6754 or email dreinbold@memphiszoo.org or nking@memphiszoo.org

Remember that the "Memphis " zoo is that in name only. It is in no way owned by this city or any other "public" entitiy. They can do pretty much as they please, and do.

They have done away with some fabulous programs in the past.

No more Raptor rehab program, but they sure used it for press for a long time. Remember what the waterfowl area "used to be like" it is sad now compared to how it used to be, Remember the large number of "Very large Coy" they used to have in the waterfowl area. Ask someone what happened to them? ( thats a deep dark secret!!)

But in all fairness, who remembers the old "Cat House" and look at those displays today. It is much better than it used to be.

The Zoo is very definatly considered a "World Class" Zoo and in a lot of ways it is far from where it once was. Maybe our club can "Help" to make a difference, but I still feel it should be an organized effort, if this club wants to get involved, and not an overall attack.

You have to ask yourself if you want to get involved and help, or just stand back and throw rocks????

Someone step up and volunteer to head it up and I am sure the club would get involved. But shouldn,t it be done as concerned members of the community that are offering our assistance and to help with a long term plan to improve the Aquarium facillity?

Just a thinking out loud, and I will be glad to help "within the confines of this Club, if it is organizwed!!! I will put my time and some money where my mouth is!!

Now who wants to get this information togather and present it to the club with an action plan?

i am more than happy to pitch in some time i dont have much for $$$ but i do have some free time a few times a month, i will try to contact someone at the zoo to see what we can do .

I think its funny everyone seems so passionate about the zoo I would just be interested to see who showed up. ( St.Jude project.) Hey im no saint i didn't go to st. jude either but it seems like it was hard to get volunteers to help. IMHO the zoo doesn't care because no one has donated a million dollars 2 the thing, has the reptile or bird sanctuarys changed? Im 33 and they still look the same too me! Hey its america folks MONEY TALKS! Some kind of fund raiser where we could donnate $$$ thats what will get their attention then maybe we could even get a plaque outside the aquarium hit the news people to cover our fund raiser seems to me this would be the best move. just my 2 cents!

I think tats has the right idea. We assume it's a money issue, though, it does seem from a purely business perspective it would be cheaper to purchase the proper food and feed on a proper schedule, as well as water change, than to have to purchase new fish every month, or however often they are going through them. At any rate, if it is indeed *not* a public venture, then quite frankly that makes things better. It would be wise to investigate who actually *does* 'own' the zoo and if it is a private company, lambaste them with emails and letters, heck, maybe even a petition. See if the company is publicly traded, find out of they are BBB members, all kinds of fun things one can do to get attention *if* it is indeed a company. Quite honestly, I don't see the problem with a letter to the good ole Mayor of Mem-fi explaining the previous offer, the response and evidence that in fact, the zoo does not seem to have the aquarium under control. People in high places are used to hearing people complain, what they are not accustomed to is hearing a solution as well and if you all are serious, then I think naming some names and offering some alternatives or interventional ideas (and how to fund it) would be welcomed. I learned a long time ago from the music biz, if every artist gave up on the first 'no' we would all have to learn how to play an instrument because there wouldn't be any to buy. Point is, even if there are road blocks you gotta find another avenue and pitch it to anyone that will listen. Having said that, putting a plan together, a real step one, step two, etc plan is needed before rattling peoples chains. You *may* get their attention for a split second, don't waste it complaining, heck they already know, spend it pitching the solutions we all know need to be implemented. If nothing else, given what I saw, ask them to please tear it down or at least consolidate into something they *can* manage.

My 2 cents.

http://www.memphiszoo.org/ourmission

The zoo is set on 76 acres of Overton Park, of which approximately 55 acres are developed. The land currently designated to the Memphis Zoo was defined by the Overton Park master plan in 1988. Since the Zoo began making major renovations in the late 1980s, it has used a master plan to guide the way. To learn more about the Zoo's master plan and it's development, click here. The land, and all of the buildings and upgrades made to it are property by the City of Memphis, and managed by the Memphis Zoological Society. To see a list of the society's board and officers, click here.

Since the early 1990s, the Memphis Zoo has invested over $80 million for renovation and expansion, making it one of the finest zoological parks in the nation. This would not have been possible if not for the financial assistance and civic support of local private citizens, corporate sponsors and legislators. You can help us, too!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15051776#post15051776 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MarineFlake
People in high places are used to hearing people complain, what they are not accustomed to is hearing a solution as well and if you all are serious, then I think naming some names and offering some alternatives or interventional ideas (and how to fund it) would be welcomed. I learned a long time ago from the music biz, if every artist gave up on the first 'no' we would all have to learn how to play an instrument because there wouldn't be any to buy. Point is, even if there are road blocks you gotta find another avenue and pitch it to anyone that will listen. Having said that, putting a plan together, a real step one, step two, etc plan is needed before rattling peoples chains. You *may* get their attention for a split second, don't waste it complaining, heck they already know, spend it pitching the solutions we all know need to be implemented. If nothing else, given what I saw, ask them to please tear it down or at least consolidate into something they *can* manage.
My 2 cents.

Very well said!!

Now who would like to put a presentation on getting a committe togather to attack this issue and put a plan togather??

We can put it on the Agenda for the Club meeting on Saturday June 28th!!!

i'm not that good on public speaking, but i am almost decent when putting the words on paper--if no one else steps up, then i will start the tornado rolling when i return from disney world, i will use the names of the people that richard provided and see what happens. my mother worked for the city and county for 28 years and she knows both mayor's very well, so we will see what we can come up with, unless someone else feels they can persuade the opposition( the zoo) better---i plan to post the proposal letter for all reef members to read around june 8th, before submitting to key important political figures-------any objections?

If it is someting that is going to go out as representing the club then it needs to be approved by a vote of the club members.

Which would need to take place at the next meeting.

Unless you could get a consenses vote from the board of directors.

But that sounds like a good start

that's why i stated that the letter would be reviewed first by the members before me and my mother take it to the people that will make a difference, as i stated, she has very good communications with both mayors and much of the city and county officials--her years of service with the right people can do wonders

from what i see, a good majority of the members have already expressed their feelings about getting this off the ground, including( if i'm right) the founder of the club---your words were, who is gonna step up---well, here it is---i don't think a vote by board of directors is a necessity, unless the club members( after all that has been addressed) were just starting a thread of talk--i am volunteering( totally) to do something about the topic of the zoo aquarium, and i'm getting members of my family( who are not into this hobby) to do something as well---what vote do this needs?

Very few actual members have expressed there views here.

This is a sounding board for the club and the club is not set up to do official business here on this forum. If it is to be presented as coming from this club please understand that it will require a vote of the members or board. Only 3 club members have "actually offered any time or money on this at this time" on this format.

I agree completly in what you are doing, and it was brought up at a meeting recently to be looked into and presented to the club in the club getting involved with the zoo.

All I am saying here is lets do this the right way if this clubs name is to be used, Posting ideas and suggestions are great here to get on an agenda and I agree lets try to make this happen.

We can get you on the Agenda for Saturday the 27th of June and we can discuss with all that are interested and maybe make something happn, that is if the club is to be involved. Now all of us as "individuals" can express our opinions and get anyone we want to involved. But, if the clubs name is to be used and we are volunteering the club members time and/or money then the members as a whole will need to be given the option here.

One other thing however: The zoo haas been structured in order to eliminate as much "political involvement" into there structure as possible and I would not suggest that the club look at it through that window if "we" really want to be involved with it.

Please understand, I have worked with the zoo and there management in the past, so I do have some insight into that piece of this, and will be glad to discuss further at the club meeting!!

Last edited:
When we toured the aquarium 2 years ago the curator (sp) told us that they are in line for renovations. The space their working on now, i cant remember it's name, is second, then followind it is another area, and finally the aquarium. It will be torn down and completely rebuilt.
As some of you may remember, the Emperor angel and Unicorn tang from St Jude were donated to the aquarium and are on display there. The front tank is almost solid majano, and was when we toured. At that time he said he was working on killing off the majano and I see its still there. I realize he's understaffed and under funded. Having been in his place before, I sympathize and refuse to hand down judgement. He is as much a victim of rules and tape as I was. If I remember correctly, the zoo would have no problem if he were to spend his own money on equipment, but would not reimburse him.
All-in-all, something tells me the zoo would rather let things die and pay to replace them than let outside support come in to help.
Also remember; this is not a short term fix. This would require a LONG TERM investment of members time and work. You would be added onto a schedule and expected to arrive at your scheduled time, all on a volunteer basis. And when you're not being paid to be somewhere, dedication takes a back seat.
St Jude began with much the same enthusiasm and camaraderie, but when it came to actually volunteer time, it was reduced to three people. Granted, St Jude's security may have played a part in the drop-out rate, but do you think the zoo will be any more lax? Would you be willing to work 2-3 eight hour shifts extra a week, on top of a 40 hour work week, and not be paid for it? How about just one 8 hour shift? On a weekend? A day off?
If there isn't a Joint Effort on ALL interested members parts, it will fall apart with in a year. Just imagine 20-30 people coming together to get the aquarium immaculate and fully functional, all agreeing to help maintain it. And week by week people start dropping off. Its all volunteer work. Their not being paid. Others pick up their slack and eventually you have 6 people doing the work of 20 or 30 people. If just one gets sick of it and decides "If they can quit, I will too." you are picking up more people's work on top of you own. Eventually, you are behind the ball with NO WAY of getting ahead.
Its dismal; its aggrivating; but its all true.
I'm not saying all this to get everyone to quit. I want everyone to be aware of what their promising themselves to. I would love it to work out, but i've seen what happens when it doesn't.

i took my daughter to the zoo a few weeks ago on her school feildtrip the sad part was that the last time i went to the zoo the tanks looked so bad i could not bring myself to go back it there this time around my daughter asked why we didnt go in i told her i could show her 1000 times better tanks in here. they do need help and iam new to this and i can see that.

Back