Menards has pickling lime

wvned

Premium Member
EVERYDAY LOW PRICE$3.49
11% MAIL-IN REBATE Good Through 7/16/23$0.38
FINAL PRICE$ 3.11each

6443261_8_15_22.jpg

I got 3 for my Kalk stirrer.
I have about 10 pounds here now which will do me a while.

I've tried a few hydrated lime products, a small amount of BRS kalkwasser and I always go go to Mrs. Wage's pickling lime for the cost and it works just fine. The last stuff I tried, Graymont hydrated lime, was no good. Too high in something that cause excessive brown slime. Either dions, or more likely, chrysophytes. Limewater does not "self purify" and precipitate out all of the contaminates as claimed in many places. I found one single wastewater treatment reference outside of reefkeeping forums, and that's it. Even then, I try to keep my tank cleaner than a sewer. Lol
The effect does occur, but not sufficiently to just use any old calcium hydroxide product.

My kalk stirrer is DIY with a 20 gallon vessel mixed with a Jebao wavemaker several times a day and dosed by a BRS 50ml/min pump. This is all run be Hydros

Uses a lot of kalk

My kalk stirrer is DIY with a 20 gallon vessel mixed with a Jebao wavemaker several times a day and dosed by a BRS 50ml/min pump. This is all run be Hydros

Uses a lot of kalk
I use a 60gal drum and dose 14ml/min. 24/7. With a kamoer fx-stp. I have thought about adding a pump on a timer to keep the solution mixed and hopefully reduce potency issues. The dosing like is about 20 feet though. Not that a small bit of slurry is scary, but rather it tears up the peristaltic tubing alot faster and and there is a much higher chance of a clog or blockage in the dosing line.
Ends up about 5 gallons per day.

I add RODI into the stirrer and it overflows out. I think I am maxed at 5 liters a day in the programming

Back