Mesh mod

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11267608#post11267608 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kinghokus420
sorry the dog ate my sd card so no pics.

Ouch! I hope it wasn't too big a card (MB size wise). Josh you have PM.

nah it was only a 1 gig. it was my fault i didnt put it away after uploading some pics. no biggie i just need to go down the hill and get one.

i had to take it apart this afternoon to do something about the noise. i tightened up the zip ties and trimmed the mesh a little closer. and that made all of the difference. just as quiet as before. i definitely notice that the size of the bubbles are much smaller and appears to be working much better. so far im impressed.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11272745#post11272745 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by boviac
Would you be interested in seeing the DIY recirc skimmer I have Rob? LMK.

Thanks.

I know what the recurculating skimmers look like but was curious as to how they were modding the ASM'S and what pumps were being used. I like the Mesh mod and may do it on all 3 sedra's that run my skimmer on my fish system. That's the only system that could used beefed up!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11282526#post11282526 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Underwaterparadise
Thanks.

I know what the recurculating skimmers look like but was curious as to how they were modding the ASM'S and what pumps were being used.

im not sure how "they" are doing it but im probably going to copy the octopus design. i plan on using the sedra 3500 thats there now for the recirc pump.
thats a project down the line though, im already onto making a kalk reactor out of a beer cooler gizmo i found at ross. but nothing until after finals.

I seem to try that and then I try to recall what was going on in the other window open only to say... hmmm. guess I wasn't paying attention. I'm a much better student in person. I need to learn more discipline when participating on on-line classes. Good Luck!

well after a week of running flawlessly, all i can say is this skimmer mod rocks! i had no idea it would work like this. i've emptied my cup twice in a week and its some funky stuff. in my opinion this mod is well worth the 4.00$ it cost to do. i just bought a sd card so i'll get some pics in a few days. i also found a small amount of "mental rest" time to build a kalkwasser reactor. its not pretty but seems to be working well. i'll post some pics of it too.

Congrats on the skimmer Mod! Love the internet and it's ability to share and promote innovative advancements like this.

Now you just have to ensure your skimmer doesn't go nuts and wet skim too much of your water out when you are away (unless you don't have an overflow into your sump). :D

it was overflowing the first day or two before i trimmed the mesh to fit better. now its quieter and no overflows. i left it totally alone for 2 whole days :) while i was in sacto and it worked perfectly.

picture time. i dont have any of the impeller but there's 1001 threads with impeller pics and they all look the same
2 days skimming. i like it wet .
DSCN2170.jpg

the stuff i used
DSCN2179.jpg

and a teaser to the kalkreactor. i'll get better pics when i take it out to re-seal the pump.
it does look worse than it really is. i bumped my hand when filling it with mrs. wages and hadn't wiped it off yet.
DSCN2171.jpg

Very cool! Thanks for the pics and Interested in your Kalkmixer DIY project. Looks cool! Also, did you get the Mrs. Wages locally?

Just a suggestion if you havent done it already......Instead of using zipties, you should try using fish line. Might cut down on drag and lower the wattage used. Looks like its producing alot of skimmate anyway.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11314082#post11314082 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rommelgin
Just a suggestion if you havent done it already......Instead of using zipties, you should try using fish line. Might cut down on drag and lower the wattage used. Looks like its producing alot of skimmate anyway.

i thought about that too. after i already put it back together the 2nd time. i may pull the impeller out and bring it to the next "real" meeting so all can see how its done. then i will re tie it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11314030#post11314030 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by boviac
[B Also, did you get the Mrs. Wages locally? [/B]

walmart, less than 2$ alb

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11314585#post11314585 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kinghokus420
i thought about that too. after i already put it back together the 2nd time. i may pull the impeller out and bring it to the next "real" meeting so all can see how its done. then i will re tie it.

If you can bring in that impellor to the meeting that would be great. I'm planning on getting a skimmer sometime within the next couple weeks and it will be of course be modded.... If you can't then it's not a huge deal.

Back