Metal Halides

like i said before .. i like the technology ... i'd love to go with it myself ... but its not the answer to MH vs. T5 ... not at the current price point.
I don't think T5's are the answer to MH ... i believe they are a very viable option, or alternative ...

To tell you the truth .. i'd love to setup the tank via sunlight ... seeing how we have ample supply of it here.

The solaris uses Luxion bulbs which are not standard LED's. The company I work for has been playing with a few Luxion products, but not enough for me to voice my oponion on them, but I do know they are bright as s#$%

yes, they are much brighter, and the life expectancy is longer with less loss, but they still loose. supposedly they will retain around 70% of brightness by 50,000 hours.

if you look att eh following graph - it looks like by about 12,000 hours the LED will be at about 80% brightness

5mm%20light%20output.gif

To tell you the truth .. i'd love to setup the tank via sunlight ... seeing how we have ample supply of it here.

I was actually thinking about doing this- There is a great thread somewhere here about the use of "Solatubes". I think we live in the perfect environment for them, What better way to replicate nature? + could you imagine the long term savings.

As far as evergy cost/comparison goes- i was simply stating that LED's will probably save you about $10 per month compared to the 3-250w's, 8 T5's + the chiller.

My old chiller (1/4hp coralife) used to cost me about $30/month to keep my tank at 79-80 in the summer.

but its not the answer to MH vs. T5 ... not at the current price point

exactly, It will be in the next few years though.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9164881#post9164881 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ConcreteReefer
LOL- That graph is from July 2002... What kind of LED's were they testing? Find one for Luxeon bulbs and then post it.

LOL I know for a fact things have changed quite a bit since then as far as luxeon development. good catch!

Yes, the solartubes .... i wouldn't be surprised if the LEDs would save you more than $10/month .. the chiller bumped by power bill up by about $15-$18/month... just the upfront cost makes them hard to reach for most.

I don't want real life lighting...I want better! Nature/god never grew a 400 pound pumpkin, man did. I don't want my "reef" to take 20 years to look good. LED's hands down are better then anything else right now. an incandescent light losses 95% of its watts to heat a led looses 5%. the solris is expensive because of it's computer, R&D of the technology, and specialized nature of the product. If a company were to take 200 or whatever leds and string them up in a 20k configuration with a simple on/off switch without the coral growth robing cloud coverage none-seance. It would be 1/5 the cost with all the same advantages.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9164943#post9164943 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by deschlayer
I don't want real life lighting...I want better! Nature/god never grew a 400 pound pumpkin, man did.

THANK YOU ! now thats sig material!

for a 24 inch led light you need 50 Luxeon bulbs and at $5 a pop(witch is way more expensive the Solris would get the for) it would cost $250 and use 250 watts of power
so $50 for a light housing
$250 for lights (my cost)
$50 for a 250 watt dc transformer
$25 for resisters and wires and whatever

total to build your self a led light witch i think I an rounding up by a very good bit $375.00

yeah run the light in secsetion*spelling with a 250watt dc transformer, I would use resisters for the "drivers"

Last edited:
go ahead ... i'd be interested in how it comes out, and how well you'll like it.

I've seen a bunch of small replacement light bulbs that are powered by LEDs ... pretty neat.

Why don't you guys do something constructive instead of quarrel about lighting.

I want one of you guys to design a chiller that is composed of one icecube, two pieces of epoxy on each end, and a 3/4 inch pvc pipe. Then put it in a fancy box and stick a picture of scott on the side, wearing a maguyver teeshirt and sticking his thumb up!

I may be a little off topic but hey this discussion needed a lil comic relief at the expense of keinreis, rock on "tuna can" rock on :lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9168949#post9168949 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coralfarmer84
I may be a little off topic but hey this discussion needed a lil comic relief at the expense of keinreis, rock on "tuna can" rock on :lol:

hahaha! tuna can ... hahaha!

Back