MH bulb selection for sps reef

Reel North

New King of Quarantine
I'm trying to pick bulbs for the right mix of growth and color.

My tank is 72 X 30 w X 24 tall eurobraced.

I have 3 Hamilton Cozumel sun reflectors I'm using, as well as 2 reefbrites 48" light bars for dusk & dawn.

I have a shelf & branch rock design, and the corals range from 4" from the bottom to 5" from the surface.

I currently have 3 PFO M80 ballasts that I can use, as well as 3 Lumatek adjustable ballasts I've been picking up.

I have run radiums before, and they are fantastic. I'm not sure if there is a better bulb available that can give me a nice look with good growth.

I was considering running a 400 halide in the middle and 2 250w out to the sides, or just 3 250w. I have a light rack that I made from aluminum channel which allows me to raise and lower the lights.

I'd love some help picking the right bulbs for this.

Thanks in advance!

Considering you have the M80s, I would go with the Radiums, there really isn't a bulb out there that can match its performance- coloration and growth wise on that ballast setup.
_______
my two pennies

You think I should run a 400 radium in the middle and 2 250 on the outside?

If heat and energy consumption are not a concern, then sure ! Heck if you can swing it cooling wise and don't mind big electric bills, go with all 400's if you want.

I run 3x 400w. The Raduim is a good bulb but only lasts 6-8 months. I am now using 10k bulbs and though the color doesnt pop as much the growth and bulb life are far better. I use my LEDs to help in color rendition while the MH are on.

Power costs here are absolutely crazy. We pay higher rates than Hawaii. I only run my lights after 6 pm to use the cheaper rate (drops from .17 kW/h to .07 kW/h.

I'll try the 250s to start - the extra heat would be fine - tank is in the basement, and when my heaters come on..... Well the power just goes nuts.

When I ran halides before the heaters never came on.

I've only ran 250w fixtures, and have heard the radiums are somewhat better in 250w over 400w?
I personally think 3x 250's with good reflectors are PLENTY for a 24" tall tank

That's what I'm hoping ;).

I'll run them and see what the par is like. The cozumels aren't real par monsters, but like you say - tank isn't deep

Don't move to Ca, 29 cent and up KWH, tier and the final solution yeah baby. But I would run 250's on your tank. I have dual 250 Phoenix's DE and I do not like the color. I want to switch to radiums I just need the reflectors.

Let me check my bill. I know we are more than California. Thus, our once mighty manufacturing center has gone bye bye. And they are raising bills again in October.

I'm going to do 250w radiums.

on my old 90 I used 250 watt 14,000k Hamilton bulbs if I remember correctly. I ran those along with 440 watts of VHO bulbs. I also ran the 250s with the Hamilton bulbs over a 29 by themselves. Looked great.

Lol no kidding on California. 0.07/kWh isn't outrageous. That's dirt cheap man. I thought we were sitting pretty good at 0.11/kWh in my area in Texas. That seems to be fairly average

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me check my bill. I know we are more than California. Thus, our once mighty manufacturing center has gone bye bye. And they are raising bills again in October.

I'm going to do 250w radiums.
I am in Ottawa and my average monthly electric bill is $300. And I heat with natural gas. This will go up now that I have gone from 890w lighting to 1700w (6 ft to 8 ft tank). The up side is my heaters rarely turn on. This hobby ain't cheap, but I warned the kids that they aren't getting an inheritance(unless they want the tank)[emoji16]

Before I check my bill.... I took an Iwaki RLT55 off as my return pump and changed to a wave line 10000 and my bill dropped $50 a month....

That's another reason for halides - less heater time!! That's 1000 watts!!

I will also say that the power charges aren't the worst - it's the delivery, blah blah blah that kills us.

Last edited:
Back