Mike's 240 Peninsula Build

Thinking about changing my fine sand out for a heavier grain sand. How should I undertake this task without disrupting my tank too much? Thanks guys

That depends on how deep your existing sandbed is. The deeper it is, the greater the danger of exposing high levels of H2SO4 to the display tank water. In this case you'd do best to just siphon out 5-10% max per day.

The other, simpler option would be to lay a thin layer of larger gravel over the lighter stuff.

Dave.M

Hey Dave,

I have a 2-3" bed right now of fine sand. I guess this process will be slow. I am waiting for the substrate I want to come back into stock so in the meantime I guess I can get the process going by removing a bit of sand everyday

Would laying over a thin layer of heavier sand have any adverse effects to the tank? I am also worried that the heavier sand would eventually sink leaving me back to square one.

No, it is not normally a problem. In fact, it is a quite common practice as just about everybody runs into the same problem when they add powerheads to their tank.

What sort of clean-up crew do you have? Some nassarius snails and sand conchs are good for getting down under the sand surface and keeping your sandbed clean. Diamond gobies are great sand stirrers, too, but tend to re-arrange your tank for you sometimes if the sandbed is not deep enough for their liking.

Dave.M

Been awhile since I updated this thread. I just got a shipment of sticks in today and wanted to share.

Been battling cyano, no3 and po4 reads zero. I feed a cube of frozen every other day. weekly water changes and cyano is still spreading. Been siphoning it out during water changes. Hopefully I will win the battle.

beckett_tort.jpg

big_***_chalice.jpg

blue_tip.jpg

blue_tip_2.jpg

cali_tort.jpg

chalice_4.jpg

clam1.jpg

clam2.jpg

fan.jpg

granulosa.jpg

green_stick.jpg

The MP40 I placed on the over flow side of the tank isn't cutting it and there is lack of flow on that side of the tank. I placed an order for two Tunze 6105 and a 7095 Multicontroller to control the pumps. It should be here next Tuesday. That should add some serious flow to the tank.

The MP40 I placed on the over flow side of the tank isn't cutting it and there is lack of flow on that side of the tank. I placed an order for two Tunze 6105 and a 7095 Multicontroller to control the pumps. It should be here next Tuesday. That should add some serious flow to the tank.

No new updates????

Over due

Over due

Been awhile, work and toddler son got the best of me and the tank suffered. I neglected the tank for awhile. Not doing water changes or testing parameters. A lot of corals died due to my negligence. Son is a little older now and easier to take care of so that freed up some time for me to focus on my tank.

Recent changes I've done was change out the sugar fine sand to tropic eden reef flakes. Much much better substrate, no more sand storm. Before I had to run my power heads so low that flow was lacking in my tank. Now I've cranked up the flow and corals are much happier.

I added two 6105 tunzes pump on the other end of the tank. Much better flow on that side of the tank now. I pre-ordered the new mp-60 QD driver upgrade. Waiting on that to be shipped.

I made the switch over to zeovit in late December and am finally enjoying some results. The colors are nothing spectacular but they are much better than the brown sticks I was seeing.

My photography skills are lacking. Still trying to figure out reef photography. I'm thinking a photo box will help with top down pics. Corals look better from top down anyways. Either way, enjoy.

3_22_1.jpg

3_22_2.jpg

3_22_3.jpg

3_22_4.jpg

3_22_5.jpg

3_22_6.jpg

3_22_7.jpg

3_22_8.jpg

3_22_9.jpg

Here are some tank shots. I got a new top down photo box so I decided to take some pics of the corals also. I must say, taking pics from the top down is A LOT easier then from the side panels.

dining_room_side.jpg

Family_room_side.jpg

side_shot.jpg

babys_fav.jpg

blue_tort.jpg

babys_fav_2.jpg

Green_cap.jpg

red_planet.jpg

SSCake.jpg

Back